Chapter Thirty-One

Iris woke on a soft surface. Slowly getting up, she had her hand on her head, as a head ache came to her. Did that really just happened, she thought. Did I really just saw Mom? A flash of the woman's face came to her mind... But she felt so real.

"You're awake!" The woman's voice was heard.

Iris froze at the sound. No... so it wasn't a dream...

Maria approached her daughter, she sat down on the bed beside Iris and reached for the glass of water to offer it to her.

"Take I easy... here, drink some wa -"

The glass flew off of Maria's hand as Iris slapped the glass from mother. Maria was startled by her daughter's actions, and even more when she saw the glare that Iris was giving her.

"Iris!" Maria began.

"Don't you fucking say my name!" Iris said. "You're alive... For seven years I believed that you were dead... he told me that he left you there to die, and I hated him for that... I mourned for you, I prayed every day for you to come back..."

"I'm so so -"

"I don't want to hear your apology!" A sob came from Iris. "I want to know how you're alive and why you abandoned me! And the hell do you want with me now?!"

There was silence in the room.

"It's hard for me to explain -"

"I don't give a fuck, just tell me!"

Maria wiped the tears that fell. She took a breath before she finally spoke.

"Your father came back after a year of being gone..." Maria began. "And we were both so sick - you were already dying... he was about to bring us both to the surface to get us treated, but I told him to only take you because I don't want to come back here... he told me that he could carry us both back, but I insisted that I stay there, because I know that if I go back here, this would happen."

Why didn't he tell me? Iris thought. All this time, I hated him because of something he didn't do...

"As soon as you left... my brother, Julius, came to our home, with the help of his special squad, he brought me to the surface. Trust me when I tell you that I had no idea, the only time that I did was when I woke up..." Maria stopped as a memory of that night came to her. The fear and pain. If she were to continue, she wasn't sure that Iris would understand.

"Then why didn't you look for me?" Iris asked.

"I can't..." Maria said. "Iris, before I tell you, there's something you first need to understand about our family, and about how special you are."

"Are you done?" The door opened and came Lord Reed.

"No, I haven't -" Maria began.

"Take her upstairs, I'll explain the rest."

~*~

"Screw you."

After Levi and his squad took over the MP base in the wood with the help of Hitch and Marlo. Levi took it upon himself to get answers he needed from the Interior MP about the location of Rod Reiss.

"Where'd they take Eren and Krista?" Levi questioned the man.

"You bastards, you think you're so brave..." the MP said. "That post was manned by recruits, they barely knew how to wipe their asses, no one will think you're heroes for beating them down."

"Yeah, the guilt is tearing me apart." Levi said, and shoved his foot into the man's mouth. "But what really gets me pissed is that mouth of yours. I'm going to suggest that you talk now while you still can, now, where are Eren and Krista?"