Chapter 16

One of them spoke again, apparently this stranger was talking nonsense without understanding the situation.

“You, outsider. You don’t know anything. He’s the one who decided on today being the day of his death.”

“Day of his death? Why would he decide that?”

“Because there’s no hope. He can’t be saved anymore even if our Elandos appeared right now. If there was a way, we’d have figured it out first.”

The Akarna did not exist for them. They didn’t even believe in divine power.

Jiwoo looked around in a cold sweat. All of them did not disarm themselves, rather they were more wary of her and aimed their weapons at her.

There seemed to be close to ten people, but Lanceil was not among them. It looks like he wasn’t here yet.

Jiwoo explained as much as possible.

“…You know Lanceil. You must know what condition he was in? I healed Lanceil’s wounds.”

This case was definitely of the miasma that the Akarna could remove. So she went on to say that it’s not impossible to heal. But they did not agree.

The tallest of them all, the blonde, spoke as the representative. It seemed like he had been running all night, but the blonde hair over his shoulders looked fine. As he got closer, the blonde hair that had clung to his shoulders cascaded down.

A look of tension was evident on his face. He spoke in a voice as calm as his neat impression.

“Then you will understand this quickly.”

“What?”

“He made Lanceil’s wounds.”

That was unexpected. Lanceil’s condition back then evidently looked like he was dying from wounds further eroded by miasma, and injuries like that were normally inflicted only by beasts.

“I thought it was the wounds he received from a beast.”

“His condition is not that different from that of a beast. I don’t know how you healed Lanceil. But it’s impossible to heal him.”

Jiwoo did not give up and continued to persuade them.

“…I mean, you don’t know yet whether what I’ll do will work or not.”

“And it’s also not sure what kind of danger will come back if there’d be any recoil. You know what happens when that energy explodes. So he has to be killed before he does any more damage.”

“But…”

“I’ve said it already. This is his dying wish.”

It was a cold, realistic, yet rational statement.

But she couldn’t give up the person who was so desperately clinging to life. It also helped that they didn’t look as bad as their first impression.

Jiwoo was a stranger whom they rejected and might mercilessly kill. If they really only cared about their own well-being and killed the weak, they would not persuade Jiwoo, but would have killed her along with this person named Helka.

And the fact that he clings to her like this adds credibility to one of Jiwoo’s guesses.

“Now… he’s getting better, a little bit.”

Even the man who reluctantly rebutted Jiwoo’s words agreed.

The man, who had been screaming all night, didn’t seem to feel any pain so severe that he groaned and moaned in Jiwoo’s arms. It was natural. The pain caused by the miasma, which was eroding the body, was more severe than the pain getting your limbs cut off.