Chapter 25 - Promises That Could Be Broken

Back when a party had been held at the Imperial Palace—

The crown prince led the imperial army to drive out the beasts of the western region, and the Akarna cleansed the wasteland remaining after the beasts disappeared.

So, it was not too much to call it a victory party as the humans overcame the beasts.

This time, the Akarna and the crown prince were really good together, the people were saying so. It’d be a lie to say they didn’t feel proud.

The crown prince and the Akarna entered this splendid victory party where nobles and imperial families gathered.

Curtains made with jewelry. Softly resounding music. The simple food of the temple is different from the luxurious food that showed its luxury using plenty of sugar and spices. Sparkling wines. People in shiny dresses.

Before she was able to fall into the splendid party she was seeing for the first time, Jiwoo had to express her disappointment to the crown prince here.

“Your Highness, you promised me.”

“You know there’s nothing I can do.”

The crown prince frowned as if he was troubled by Jiwoo’s grumpy voice.

“It’s because I’m not a noble.”

When she said that, the crown prince looked rather stern.

“Akarna, you don’t know because you’re someone from the temple, but the relationship between the Imperial Family and nobles is complicated. You don’t have to take everything emotionally.”

“But you promised me…”

Because Jiwoo was the Akarna, she was a very foreign entity to exist in this human victory party.

Akarna could not be invited to or could not attend a party hosted by any noble or the imperial family. Akarna was not an ordinary human being, but a sacred body that was a vessel for God’s spirit.

So Akarna had to participate only in the temple’s events, organized by the temple, even if there was such an auspicious event.

The reason Jiwoo was able to participate today was because the crown prince promised to take her to the party.

And Jiwoo was going to dance with the crown prince here.

She wanted to show everyone that the crown prince was her lover and that she was his.

But the crown prince only kept his promise to bring Jiwoo to the party, and he said he wouldn’t be able to do the first dance with her.

The reason was simple.

It was because the noble lady, who was to be engaged to the crown prince, also attended the party.

And Jiwoo understood why she couldn’t have the first dance with him, even if he didn’t explain it.

The noble lady was the daughter of a venerable household that was no different from the founding hero, so the reason was that she should not lose face.

“Your Highness, if it’s because I’m a commoner, then Your Highness… can create an identity for me.”

The imperial power ruled above the temple.

It would not have been impossible for a commoner to suddenly become a member of a deep-rooted family that could marry the crown prince proudly, but if it was just a lowly noble, there were plenty of ways.

After being adopted by an old noble who has no children, she could receive a title gradually, or if that was not possible, he could create a title that she did not have.