Chapter 40 - Uninvited Guest

Elandos.

A pure white tree that repelled miasma just by taking root in the land of El Ragnile.

With a huge trunk that connected the sky and the earth, with branches that stretched wide enough to fill the sky, and with white leaves that filled the gap between them-these were the characteristics of Elandos.

It gave birth to the children of Elandos, took care of them until they grew up, taught them the truth of life, prolonged their lifespan, and prevented them from getting sick.

So, the children of the tree respected it like a teacher, loved it like a parent, and appreciated it like a benefactor.

Since the wisdom of Elandos was equal to the laws of nature, the children of Elandos knew that the tree was not simply a symbol of divinity, but the very providence of the world.

Even so, of course, they couldn't help but love the tree.

The branch was neatly placed under an old tree in the center of the village.

No action was done after Jiwoo touched it, but it was still white as if it was shining alone. And everyone in the village woke up early in the morning and gathered in front of that small branch. The sky was still dark and it was drizzling, but no one cared.

They laughed with tears in their eyes, sat down on the ground and cried, and looked at the white branches several times in disbelief, but did not dare to touch it.

What did this mean for them?

Did it feel like their deceased parents have reopened their eyes? Or was it the same as feeling that they found something that had since been forgotten?

Jiwoo, who thought of the tree as just a tree, could not comprehend. As she was watching them from behind, she felt someone tap her arm lightly.

"Why are you standing in the back like this?"

"What? Ah..."

After replying blankly, she saw it was Tevon. When he asked why, she couldn't answer easily.

For the Akarna, this was the usual. When she was sent out to treat the sick or purify the land, people were happy and rejoiced and praised the Lord.

There were times when they thanked the priests or the Akarna separately, but it wasn't that common.

In the first place, the Akarna was treated as a symbol rather than a person, so it was not surprising.

A long time had passed since she worked without any reward. She was told to be humble when she acted out even a little. And to be modest when she tried to get her hands on even good food at temple events.

Seo Jiwoo was just watching them from a distance, as was her habit after becoming the Akarna.

Besides, it was actually just a branch of a tree to Jiwoo, so she couldn't understand what made them so happy.

"Tevon, you aren't going there either?"

"Hmm... Actually, I don't have much affection for Elandos."

"Ah... I heard you're the youngest here."

It was apparent with Jiwoo's expression that she was feeling a bit dazed. Tevon was quick to notice her mood, but he was clumsy at grasping the other person's feelings.

So he couldn't easily leave Jiwoo's side and walked around. And he spoke again.

"But how did you do it?"

"It just... changed when I touched it."

"Hmm."

Tevon put a finger on his chin and paused.