Chapter 28

This forest is unique. It was bright in broad daylight even though it was unknown where the light was coming from, even though it looked like there was no light coming from the overgrown branches and leaves. So, the village seen during the day always glimmered with a greenish-gold color.

The banquet began as the sun was setting. As the night descends, the golden sunlight, which is gradually receding, did not color this forest as dark as she thought it would. There was a bright golden light coming up from somewhere.

They looked like lilies of the valley, but were slightly larger in size. It had a light and was shining from all directions. It was also on the ground, and under a huge tree resembling Elandos. Some of the flower buds were floating in the air, shining as if someone had used magic.

In fact, when Jiwoo had decided to go to the most barren land of the Empire, she did not expect to see such a sight.

The empire’s border region was a land dyed black with miasma. This was even the closest to such a land, a forest very dangerous to humans. She thought that such a shimmering place could not exist alongside it.

And here, it was so strange that she was welcomed, even as a human being.

“Um? Helkainis hasn’t arrived yet. I thought he’ll be back tonight. Well, that’s fine.”

As soon as he entered the square holding Jiwoo, the people there all turned their heads at once.

They didn’t feel as hostile as before. Rather, she felt a strong enough sense of favor to overturn it. When their eyes met, everyone smiled lightly, so Jiwoo had to avoid looking at them.

They didn’t even come to greet her first, perhaps they knew Jiwoo felt burdened, or whether Callan had already said something in advance.

As Jiwoo continued to look around shyly, Callan whispered softly.

“If there’s someone you want to talk to, you can go ahead and talk to them. If you don’t want to, you can rest by yourself.”

“Can I really do that?”

“You’re the main character of the banquet. You shouldn’t feel pressured.”

‘What a relief…’

Inwardly, she sighed heavily.

She was worried that she might stiffen up like an idiot while everyone was having fun. She wondered what would happen if her dark personality broke the bright atmosphere of this place.

“But would you like to say greetings? It’s okay just to listen.”

As Jiwoo nodded shyly, Callan held Jiwoo and gestured to some.

Then, as if waiting for Callan’s signal, some people put down what they were doing and came closer to Jiwoo.

Jiwoo was very nervous, but their attitude was pretty straightforward. They greeted her very lightly and didn’t forget to say thank you for saving Helka and Lanceil.

Instead of using the words ‘outsider’ or ‘human’, everyone was friendly, calling out the name ‘Seo Jiwoo’ to address her.

By the time Jiwoo had gotten used to this atmosphere a little, the most familiar among them approached her.

“Hey! You’re awake?”

It was Tevon. An impressive silver hair that is close to a pale yellow color mixed with forsythia. She remembered it because he seemed to be friendly with Lanceil.

She secretly asked Lanceil about Tevon, and he said Tevon was the best hunter here. He was also the one who called Helkainis an ‘old geezer’ and said lightly to stab Helka with a dagger if he’d ever do something to her.