Chapter 1 {Re-written}

Mumbai, city of crime.

As she walked down the street with same faces, some smiling, some rude, some giving her side eyes, she looked ahead right toward her destination. This was no other day in a city like Mumbai, vendors, fighting over the place, the footpath they had illegally occupied, the chaos was so much that anyone can die due to brain tumour.... She almost laughed at the joke she made. It was such a worthless timepass...

But nothing is illegal in a city as huge as Mumbai...

And yet... she still liked walking down these streets, watching people earn their livelihood while she works on her. Some people greet her and some just shook their head, but she did not mind. Finally reaching in front of the big building, more like the destination of the day, she finally let out a deep breath. Holding her scarf, she finally entered the building, and was greeted by crying, wailings and tension at its peak.

Inside Singhal hospital

Everyone was in a rush; people were running from the counter to the wards. What had happened.... Her brows furrowed in confusion. She was thinking, just when one of the hospital staff came and collided head-to-head with her. She stabled herself.

"What had happened..." She asked.

"Mam, you came, oh thank god" The nurse sighed in relief. "A bridge had broken and lots of people had been injured...." She was about to go into details when someone called her and she went off, after mumbling a quick sorry. She rushed to her cabin. She needed to be fast. Rushing through the crowd, she finally made her way inside her cabin. She got changed into her uniform and came out. The site in front of her made her almost shut her eyes.

A man was lying on the emergency bed, his one leg had been pierced with the big iron rod and a huge mass of cement was dangling from the below. Must be painful....

She rushed to him and told the staff to bring something to cut the piece of rod. It will be harmful to let the piece of cemented floor dangle on its own.

"Bring something to cut." Her voice was soft yet held the authority. After a minute the boy came back with a......... woodcutter. She looked at him. She wanted to shout, idiot not this.... But she kept her cool.

She cants vent out her frustration on them.

"Bring the diamond coated cutter, it will produce vibration which will cause him pain." She said without a hint of frustration in her voice and turned to her personally assigned nurse. "Give him sedatives, fast." After a minute the boy came back and gave the cutter to her. She finally cut the dangling part making the man sigh in relief. It felt like a load had been finally removed from his leg.

"Prepare the OT we need to operate him, fast, and made them sign the Noc, we might have to cut his leg, or else the septic might spread." She ordered fatly, as she simultaneously, injected a few sedatives and some other doses in the almost unconscious man.

Being one of the best doctors, and most wanted too... does not do any good to her. She did not admired fame, but still, she loved her job. She had always wanted to be what she is today; she had studied hard for it.

Dhriti Singh, the most liked and upvoted doctor of the country, with a very outgoing and Kind persona, was known for her work in field of Science and Medicines. Even at a small age of twenty-seven, she gained her fame and earned the respect she deserved. Being the best student of college, she was recommended to this hospital, which was private but government operated. But she came to work here on the condition that there will be free treatment for poverty-stricken people, and people of baste of Dharavi (Slum in India).