my prince ⁽²/²⁾ ✎ 연준 💗

tw: talk abt war; cursing

a/n: ta-da! hope u like it~~

•• “i’m not going anywhere”

You sat uncomfortably, listening to your father discuss war plans over the dinner table with your mother. You placed your fork down gently. “May I excuse myself?”

Your mother glanced at you. “Hm.” Her gaze darted to your clean plate, not that you’d taken much to begin with. “Alright.”

You bowed your head and stood up, adjusting your tiara as you rushed off. When you reached your quarters, you approached the restroom, keeled over the toilet and threw up. You sighed, hanging your head. You stood up shakily, rinsed out your mouth and washed your hands. Walking into your bedroom, you smiled at the little dove that fluttered around in her golden cage.

You’d asked your maid to buy her for you at the common market after you’d begun your relationship with Yeonjun so you would be able to exchange messages. Your maid had done that gladly, using it as an excuse to purchase a gift for your sister. You were waiting impatiently now for the two to get together.

You sat down at your desk, sticking your fingers through the bars of the cage as your dove rubbed her small head against your hand. She was truly a majestic creature, delicate and pure with dark intelligent eyes. You retrieved your hand and jotted down a quick note before rolling it up and tying it with a string. You pulled open the door of the cage and tied the note to your dove.

Your dove balanced on your finger as you brought her towards your window, unlatching it and pushing it open with your free hand. "Bring this to Yeonjun, will you?" You smiled at the bird. The bird cocked her head at you for a moment, staring, then fluttered her wings and swooped out the window. You watched as she disappeared and once you could no longer see her, you shut the window against the cool night air.

———

The returning note had been a date that Yeonjun was free to meet. You were almost always free and so that date wasn't a bother. The proposed night, you snuck out of your room to meet Yeonjun like you had so many times before. You grasped his hands when you reached him, falling into his arms and holding his waist tightly. Yeonjun gasped lightly but a moment later, the sound turned into a soft laugh. He ran his fingers through your hair. "What is it?"

You pulled away, eyes glistening. "My kingdom wants war."

Yeonjun cupped your face and sighed. "What are we expected to do of that?"

You shook your head. "I don't know! I just...to begin with, you'll be sent into war."

Yeonjun kissed the tip of your nose, his pink cherry lips growing into a soft smile under the moonlight. "Should I propose marriage?"

"Marriage..?" You mumbled. You glanced at Yeonjun before raising your hands to touch his jaw. "You think that would work?" He kissed your fingertip. Your eyes filled with longing as you brushed your fingers over his skin. "Maybe. It might." You said quietly. You trailed your fingers down to Yeonjun's shoulders and pulled him against yourself. You felt one of his hands on your back. You leaned in for a soft kiss. You let out a breath when you pulled away. "And if it doesn't?"