Echoes of Silence

Tw: this story may be a little sad.

Emma's POV: I was out running errands and doing my own thing for a while. Jenna was at her house and she texted me to come over. I was always excited to see her. I got in my car and started driving to her house.
******
When I got there, I had bought some of her favorite snacks. I came up to her door and rang the doorbell. Jenna opened it, and greeted me as usual. We hugged each other so tight she could practically crush me. I gave her a kiss and went inside.
"I brought some of your favorites." I said smiling. She grabbed the bag and gasped.
"I bought you some snacks and another gift." I said softly. She set the snacks on the table and pulled out a mini booklet. It was tiny, her palm was twice the size of it. Jenna opened the booklet and revealed some of our favorite memories together.
"Emma. I love it. These pictures of us are so cute." She said smiling with tears in her eyes. Our bond was so strong, nothing could come between us. Jenna gave me another long hug. After a few moments, we sat on the couch enjoying each other's company. She pulled out her phone and did whatever she was doing.
"Hey can I check something on your phone really quick?" I asked.
"Why?" She said furrowing her brows. I wasn't expecting that kind of answer from her.
"Well, I just need to look something up real fast." I said.
"Why can't you just use your phone." She said coldly. Her whole mood had changed. We were all happy before.
"Why won't you just let me check something. You trust me right?" I said sliding confused.
"Yeah well I don't want you in my phone. Besides, what are you gonna check anyways?" She questioned.
"I just need to log into my Instagram account and reset my password. My phone died." I said sighing. Why was she being so difficult with me? We don't really fight often.
"Are you hiding something from me or what?" I said.
"No it's not that." She said.
"Well then if you have nothing to hide, then show me. There's no secrets you're keeping from me, right?" I felt my heart sink a little. Something isn't right. Jenna kept resisting.
"Okay, well at this point you're definitely hiding something. Who are you talking to." I was frustrated now.
"I'm not hiding anything Emma." She said raising her voice slightly.
"I want you to be honest Jenna. Stop lying to me. There's no point." I said, my voice cracking a little. Her face seemed like she was going to give up. I'm not prepared for what she's gonna say to me.
"It's not you Emma. I just...didn't know what I was thinking I guess?" Jenna said. Wasn't thinking? My heart felt like it had just been stabbed.
"What do you mean by 'not thinking' hm?" I questioned her.
"Someone caught my attention, and I somehow got reeled in by the conversations we were having. It was just different this time. I'm not saying I didn't feel anything with you. I did but, I felt more with someone else." Jenna said quietly. I couldn't believe this is how we ended things. We were inseparable. I just stared at her, unable to comprehend my feelings.
"I knew I'd hurt you eventually. I'm sorry that I made you trust me. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't change for you. How do you teach yourself to smile in a world where your dreams can't be real?" She said.
"Because I had you with me. I was so happy with you. All I ever looked forward to was you." I said crying.
"I guess happiness exists when you don't know a thing." She said softly. She was right. I didn't even know she was talking to someone else. I kept crying and couldn't stop. Jenna pulled me in a hug. The last one we will ever share. I still can't process that. Her leaving me. Never seeing each other, even after everything she's done.
"Don't leave me all behind." I whispered. I am so lonely without her.

Jenna's POV: Her face made my heart shatter into a million pieces. I made a mistake that I can never make up for.
"I'm sorry I hurt you." I said softly. Tears started forming in my eyes making my vision blurry.
"Baby it's okay. I still love you. Please." Emma said crying harder.
"Don't make me make you fall in love with someone like me." I whispered. Things will never be the same with us. She's the only person I love and I broke her heart. Emma is so afraid of being alone. She always prioritized me first, I wish I would've never done the things I did.

Emma's POV: I can't let her leave my little life. Would she end her night with me? I'm only an option to her now. I'm so afraid of being lonely. Some things break your heart, but fix your vision. I guess we're all alone in ways no one understands.