02. Tadbeer

ZEHRA

ZEHRA

I sat by the door, eavesdropping on everything that is going on out. I thought he will come behind me when I ran but thankfully he did not. And not even at night. I heard them talking with the other man, in the room next door but the conversation was not clear.

I heard some sound made by utensils again, and after that, the other man left if I am right, the television next door was on for at least half of the night, I just sat at the door, my legs curled near my chest. I temple resting on the door, sideways.

I felt the darkness approaching me suddenly but then I heard sudden moments outside and was wide awake again.

I heard the television being turned off and after that, a show came over to my door. His reflection on the glass,

My breath hitched when I heard him knock on the door

My breath hitched when I heard him knock on the door. I flinched but did not move away from the place.

"I am going out. There is more food in the fridge. And I have locked all the doors and windows, don't try to escape." I heard his hoarse voice to me again.

After that, I just heard the main door shut.

It was already morning. I opened the door, and I stepped outside. My first attempt was running the main door and shoving it to see if it opens, I looked around and there was no window, all had iron bars, I stood in the middle of the building looking up at the roof, I went into the little stair door as I climbed above but the gate was locked too.

I kept shaking it but breaking it was impossible.

I came downstairs, again. My feet felt so good, walking as I had stuck them the whole day. I walked around the house, entering the kitchen.

There were plates and spoons and glasses dirty in the sink looks like for weeks. The entire platform was covered with takeout carry bags and boxes looking like they were never thrown out. The smell was awful, I walked around the kitchen.

Opening the fridge, the boxes from yesterday's food were there. Cleanly kept on the first shelf, but the rest of the shelf had takeout boxes with half food when I opened it a whiff of an awful smell covered my nose making me cough and gag.