24. Kuffar

ZEHRA

"What are you paying back Abhiraj for? What did he do for you?" My questions were meant to be answered but he chose silence as his reply. I wanted to explore more of him, the life he led the one year we were apart.

And the little I have come to know, it seemed he lived a well-thriving life.

He pulled the car at this eating place, like always, opening the door for me before I could, helping me out by offering me his hand.

I stepped inside the fancy restaurant. He could not take me one last time we were out, so he kept the team on his list.

The men in there started to welcome him, show him ways to the private room, for the deals he have made here, but he asked if he wants a seat with a view. So we were taken to the rooftop of this vintage, ancient fort-finished place's rooftop. From where the very beautiful sight of Chandrvanaipur was overlooked.

Leading us to the seat, he was dismissed by one hand gesture of Daiwik.
He pulled the chair for me, as I sat inside and Daiwik sat on the other side.

He passed me the menu, "It's a beautiful view!" I complimented, and he just put the menu down, turning to follow my sight. "Yeah! It's the best one in town! Either it's this place or the fort on the mountain owned by Agnivanshi," He informed me.

I made a mental note for the fort in the mountains, to remember to visit with either Sarisha or Taara.

I had received Sarisha's text earlier, asking me what I had been up to.
I couldn't tell him I was out with Daiwik in case I might hurt her, or dig something painful for her.

"The Mutton here is good!" he suggested, and my headshot to him. My eyes widen in surprise.

He despises non-veg. He is extremely religious, his family is very religion-oriented. There has never been a morning when he has not done the Jal Arpan. His body is filled with tattoos of his god.

His suggesting something like that surprised me, but my stomach churned, I haven't had non-veg since I have come to his house. A month!

There was always a non-veg meal I had chandravani haveli because Baba used to love it.

And as much as I wanted to have it, I knew with the life Daiwik leads I might have to forget non-veg completely.

"You will be fine if I eat it?" I asked him, and he nodded.

"You can eat whatever you want! I can deal with my personal preferences myself!" He said ecstasy hit my veins as I turned the section of food into non-veg, and asked him to order the first food on the list.

He refused to order because he ate with Abhiraj.

Silence engulfs us and before it breaks into awkwardness the question that came into my head.

I was beguiled to ask, "You knew this had a good view? Do you bring girls here often?" I asked him, sipping on my water. He smirked like a jerk behind his phone.

"Yeah, almost every week! A different girl!" He said so positively like he was telling me about some good habit he owns.

Right now, I felt like disowning him.

I nodded repeatedly, "Even that Bakshi girl? Maybe one of your alone interactions has been here?" I meant it in sarcasm but he nodded.

"Just two weeks ago!" he said so casually. I wanted to believe he was trying to mess with me, but his colloquial display was making me believe otherwise.

"Oh," I tried to relax the calm that strolled in my chest, "How many girlfriends have you made in all this time?" His nonchalant body was pissing me off, his eyes were resting on his phone screen.