27. Aaftaab

DAIWIK

I hugged her closer to my chest, as she sobbed for a brief while taking deep breaths, waiting desperately for her answer but she did not say anything to me. Eventually, the sobs disappeared, her breath slowed down, and I realised she was faking her sleep once again.

I knew it was fake because her breath kept skipping the beat like it always does when she tried to hide her true self. The way she has been for 3 days.

She admitted she is throwing herself at me, but she did not share the reason. And it's breaking me inside my chest is heavy with the thought that I fail to understand her need.

I was supposed to look after her every requirement, and she felt the need to offer me herself for something she wants.

I hated myself, for being a failure.

The night went by with me in her arms, she hardly slept, but I supported her decision to pretend to be asleep.

She doesn't want to marry me, for whatever reason she fits in her little play, I will erase it. And keep destroying it until she is tired and ready to put my picture in the empty place of her heart.

I closed my eyes, letting the sleep drift me into itself.

~

The morning I woke up alone in bed, she was nowhere in sight, no sound of her in the kitchen, I looked at the clock it was late. She must not be bathing, I tried to focus my mind on the television but it was off too.

Did she run away?

I wondered as I sat up, and walked out of the room, around her neither in the kitchen nor in the bathroom. The television room was as dead.

I ran into Maa and Divya's room but she was not there either. The house was clean though, with everything in place.

There was freshly made food in the kitchen. I looked up, at the second fl, but as always shut, everything on the second floor is shut and I never felt the need to open it. But rooftop?

I stood in the middle of the veranda, my hands on my hip, as I looked around. Maybe she is on the rooftop, I followed my head's instructions and climbed up the stairs, reaching the top, and there she sat under the sun.

My breath was heavy with the run, I stood there sweaty in the early morning, she turned around her beautiful eyes caught me, "Everything okay?" She asked me, unhinged! Completely unaware that her little move from her daily routine nearly gave me a heart attack.

But another question that found my head was, what if someday she does choose to leave me? And runaway? What will I do?

Will I defy her happiness and drag her back into my settled misery compared to the world?

It's a question I don't ever want to face.

"Yes, it's Sunday!" I said reminding her, and she frowned. "You wash your hair today." I reminded her, the conversation from the last night segregated on both of our faces.

Her cheeks turned red, as she glared at her tapping feet, while she sat there on the floor, her knees popping up, close to her chest.

"I already bathe." She said shied away, and I turned my hand in a fist. "Come down, the sun is not good right now!" I told her and turned around.

"Sarisha, I and Taara will be looking around the town today, I hope you don't mind?" She reminded me again and I shook my head.

"No, I don't," I said before I left.

I retired to get dressed for work, coming back into the bedroom and finding her tapping something on her phone. "They are in their way!" She told me, I gave a nod.