23. Keemat

PAST (2 YEARS AGO) -:-

“Hii Zehra!” His familiar voice sounded so unfamiliar when spoken with his face. He was not completely visible slowly, the light of the turned-on movie reflected on his face a new part of his face cleared upon it.

He had a mix of coloured eyes, he had a tattoo on his arm that I have seen often. He was looking ahead rather than seeing me, probably because I might have not had the chance to face this person I have been anonymously loving, he had.

He was a player, but I loved the pawn.

"Hii," I tried my best to sound normal but my voice pitched low even in a single syllable. I said as I kneaded my palms in my lap,
"How are you?" he asked me, the screen turned white as actors appeared, but yelled out behind us, and he turned to see them.

Before he came back, the screen was back to normal and his face was once again non-visible.

"I am good, what about you?" I said as if I was talking to my Fufi who lives in another state, he smiled, he smiled like he would conquer the world just with his thin lips.

His eyes turned to me, and I was left with a combination of thoughts, "Jisse be-inteha mohabbat karta hu, uske saath baitha hu. Kaisa mehsoos karna chahiye mujhe Zehra?" (I am sitting with the person I love with no limits, you tell me how should I feel?) his words rang in my year for a long while.

This was not the first confession, but those words on paper felt more empty now that his voice had blessed them with it.

I felt red, completely red, "My brother is selling me to Abid! He is getting income out of me. And I feel Abid has different plans, than what I have stumbled upon." I spat in utter pain, because of whatever I have come to know and he was the only man so far I have shared fragments of pain.

His eyes darkened when he heard my words, and his jaw clenched, "I will not let you get married anywhere else, Zehra! It's a matter of time. I completed my studies this year. I will find a job and take you away from here!" He said with so much commitment in his voice.

I don't doubt a single thing he said, because in years and years of this non-together-togetherness. I might have stumbled on various doubts, but his commitment has never faltered on me. 

He always said the same thing, he will find a job far away from Vandigana and then will take me away from Murshad.

"What will you do?" I asked him, his face turned towards me, "I have a friend who lives in Chandravanipur and is well acquainted with a politician there. He said he will help me get through that man, and get a job. He will give me a stable income as well as a house to live in, as he did to all his soldiers." He told me his concrete plan.

I trust him.

I gave a nod. The silence grew, his hand on mine, as he clutched it tightly. "I will never let go of you, Zehra! Never!" he said as he kissed my hand.

My blush felt like an explosion on my face, a smile that I couldn't shrug plastered on my face.

The movie played, but dare had I seen a single scene in it! "You said you sing, sing for me!" I asked him, he blinked,

"Here? Right now? People will get distracted and get angry! One day I will sing only for you. And no ear could know that melody because it will only be for you."

~

PRESENT -:-

I watch him so peacefully when he tried to focus on his movie, he tried nothing with my hands on my body. And as much as I liked how he felt the need to make me feel safe.