46. Munasib

THE PAST: DAIWIK's POV

I felt the sun's rays on my face, my head beating with pain in the centre, I forced my heavy eyelids to open. When water was poured on my face. I tried to force my eyes open.

Distinctively I heard a woman shouting,
"Bewda!" (Drunkard) she yelled, and I felt two kicks on my back, "Throw this man! Out of our pipeline!" She shouted again.

Something poked in my arm, and forcefully I opened my eyes, managing to open only slightly, a concrete wall before me, and filthy water under my face. The awful smell, of gutter filled my nose, the heavy smell.

A hand wrapped around my leg, but I shoved it away, “Police ka danda padega! Toh bewda giri niklegi iski!”
(He will only be fine after he has some thrashing)

I heard the word and a slash of a stick attacked my back. Someone caught my head, "On duty officer ko gutter mai ghusa rakha hai, madharchod!"
(Because of him, a respectable officer is standing in the gutter, Motherfucker!) he shouted in my ear, with my hair in his clutch and dragging me straight, I felt two more arms on my body, and I was thrown on the ground, away from the dirty water.

When I opened my eyes, the sun ached my eyes with its brightness, I felt two more attacks on my side, “Sir, I recently got married if I go home stinking of this? I won't have any action tonight!" One of the constables nagged,

"Pick him, and throw him in the locker! Call his family, then bathe before going to your wife!" The head sir spat, and the man snickered before he dragged me by my collar and holding me out threw me inside the police van.

"Saala char din se gutter mai pada hai! Woh toh logo ko shak hua ki mara toh nahi hai! Tab call lagaya!" I heard them conversing.

(Bastard's been in the pipeline for four days! When people grew suspicious that he might be dead, then we received the call)

Soon, being dragged again, I was thrown into the police lock-up, the muffling sounds and the loud noises distracted me from going into slumber.

But soon in the sound was the sound of my brother, who stood over the bars, and the officer opened the door for him.
My brother stepped inside, but his face turned into a grimace, at my stinking smell, he squatted before me, took my hand and my wet body state, and hovered me on his shoulder.

"Dev..." I cried out, but he didn't say anything and started to walk me out. "We have been searching for you, for seven days, Daiwik!" He slowly spoke and halted before his bike. He asked me to stand, but my feet wobbled with the pain, and I was almost fumbling. But he held my hand reeking hand, with mud water and sat before he hovered me on his shoulders and made me sit behind him.

I was already at home, thrown on the cot bed outside on the veranda of our house, my mother stepped inside but even her nose was affected by my stench state.

"Why? Why do you have to be like this? Daiwik?" She cried, but Dev held her back and told her to leave me alone.
But she refused and picking up a knife from somewhere in the house she pushed it towards me.

"Take this! And kill me already! I have already lost one! It's better to be dead than to watch another die!" She acted dramatically but her pain was real.
Dev tried to take the knife from her hand but she refused to let go so she snatched it from her hand.