38. Behaya

ZEHRA

I pulled the dupatta closer to my chest, with the torn clothes underneath, hiding my body, but tugging of clothes was more of creating for defence. I hope whatever is going to attack me further will hurt less.

But I wonder what I am scared of his just physical pain?

My eyes to my sitting bother who had fallen on the floor, her hair was scattered, her lips were bleeding, bruises on her face and her arms. Murshad witnessed me. And in one long step and slapped me the pressure rang in my ears, my cheeks aching on the friction. I fell on the floor, and Murshad caught my hair.

Pulling me back on my feet, "How could you do this to our family!" He shouted at my face, his rage before my eyes, he was all red, I have seen Murshad in fury many times, but it never was this extreme that he would go red.

He stood me straight, and once again slapped me so hard, that I fell back on the wall, he did not stop there, his side frame towered over me, and he started to slap me again and again, shouting the same thing.

How could I ruin our family like this?

What would people be thinking of him?

I ruined our reputation.

His slaps, didn't stop, but my cheeks felt like a layer of my skin had shredded under his constant hits, when he finally stopped, I slid down the wall sitting on the floor, my trembling hand reaching for my face.

I was not at an impasse, at what pain was more extreme? The one I had been feeling inside, with what those monsters did? Or the pain that I had been feeling with what my brother did to me? Was it the pain of how many people will see my naked picture? Or was it the physical pain I bared in this house and in that fort?

I was at an impasse because each was as dreadful as any.

When I touched my cheek, I was not wrong. My skin had peeled off a little, his hands were rough with his manual work in the factory, and he had slashed my face.

I yelped when I touched the affected area, but then he kicked me!

"The problem is! I gave you freedom! And thought you should be educated! I should have just left you in the house! To rot before I marry you off! All this freedom got you to wreck us like this!" His words, he blames me for what happened?

How come men being an animal is my fault?

I stood up, tears slipping and aching as they passed through the affected area! "It's not fault!" I told him, and he abruptly turned towards me.

"It's not your fault?" He asked his face tilted to match my level, a hysterical look plastered, "Did they come inside our house? No! You went to their place! You went outside alone, that is what happened!" He spoke so deranged,
But suddenly a new kind of realization hit him, and he caught my forearms.

"Did they rape you?" I met his eyes, hoping it was concern that would cover my brother's face. But it was not, "It was disgust. He took his hands off, wiping it on his clothes!"

"They did not!" His hand stopped midway, and he once again met my gaze and slapped me once again, This time I fell on the floor before he walked away.

I sat there crying on the concrete floor of my house the door that shut behind me of the living room, my dupatta had partially hung low now, but I did not leave my clasp on it.

My mother crawled towards me, and she hugged me, crying on my shoulders. And holding onto her, I couldn't stop myself and fell into the well of tears.

~