32. Musibatein

ZEHRA

I sat next to Divya while she shuffled in the album and photos of their childhood. There were many photos, some that were even from the days when they were young. She said this was not all the photos and there was another folder that had more photos but they had to leave it in their old home. A sadness crippled over her face.

She must be missing her hometown, just the way I am, I want to see Ammi, I haven't met her once since the day I got married, all I had access to her was through the phone, and that too when Rafan occasionally chose to use his phone privilege against my body.

I closed my eyes as the dreadful past passed along my eyes. "Are you okay?" Divya asked me, I looked at her and nodded. "Yes, just this photo is very sweet!" I said pointing at the one with Daiwik and Dev, hitting each other and Dev crying, I laughed when I saw it with more supervision.

Dev entered the room, and narrowed his eyes, shutting the book off, "Mute, I want to eat something from your hand! I don't like Divya's food!" he asked me, I blinked, surprised at his direct order. But I got on my feet nodding to him. I walked towards the new kitchen and took my time adapting to it, when Dev entered the kitchen again, taking a bottle of water from the fridge. He laid on the wall next to the fridge and narrowed his eyes at me.

Drinking from the bottle, while I looked at the spices on the shelf, I got uncomfortable under his gaze and turned finally sighing, he had been treating me differently, usually, he was cracking jokes, and comments but he hadn't tried anything since I arrived.

"Did I do something wrong?" I implored him, he shook his head.

"Why are you worried you did something? I think my brother has been leading that department!" he finally joked but then he kept the bottle back in the fridge and turned to me.

"Do you want me to take you back?" he asked me suddenly, confusion struck down my throat,

"Back where?" I implored, narrowing my eyes when he sighed, I started making the assumption he meant at Daiwik's house, and a question hung on my chest Did he ask him to take me home?

"Vandigana? If you want me to take you back to Vandigana? I will do that for you, I can look after what Daiwik has to say about it later." He offered, this offer would have been more helpful if it had all before I fell in love with Daiwik once again.

I would have chosen that in a heartbeat, maybe even when he would have offered me this yesterday evening. But after today's morning I am doubtful I ever want to go back to Vandigana. I might want to visit Ammi Murshad and Abu, but I don't want to leave Daiwik.

He frowned, "No! Thank you for the offer and thank you for saving me yesterday, coming to rescue me and even letting me stay at your home. " I said what I wanted to for a while, and he shook his head. I had a pot of guilt on either side of my shoulders.

I have seen Daiwik's anger twice and every time he is upset, and Dev stops him, he ends up getting a bloody face because of Daiwik's rage.

And I am responsible for it, that rage that madness. And Devakshaya has also suffered because of me. I looked down at my feet, "I am sorry, that's because of me-" I started but Dev just ruffled my hair, "Nothing is because of you fake sister-in-law!" He said the fake in a huff sound before he turned around after ruffling my hair and going outside again.

I smiled at how good it feels to have a brother, who isn't fixated on hitting you or selling, shouting at you, and rather takes food from my plates, uses my massages to tease someone else, jokes and orders me to make food for him because he likes it.

Having a motherly figure who was there with her warm hug when I felt like I needed one, and all the pain had become so unbearable, having a sister who was listening to me, who was trying her best to distract me with completely unnecessary things.