44. Zehni

ZEHRA

I met Devakshaya's eyes and strolled mine towards the pathway Daiwik walked towards. I am not going without answers. If there is a lie that will break us? We are breaking apart already? Why stop for any?

I need to know, I shook my head, wiping the tears off my cold face, from the temperature drop of my body with the running heart that had frozen cold earlier. I turned my feet and jogged toward the pathway Daiwik was.

It was a few paces before I spotted him sitting on the footpath with his hand on his head, his face low, and his anger subsided.

My running state was now turned into a faltering steps, I wobbled towards him, and he looked up from the footpath of the old street of Chandravanipur.

Not a concrete road, just dust that hung in the air with every passing bicycle bike, rarely a truck that made a strange sound while it moved.

I halted before him, "Daiwik? Please tell me the truth. Please?" I asked him, and he looked up meeting my eyes.

"Go back! Zehra, go back to V-" He couldn't bring himself to say but the name that he heard himself in his head, probably started to beat because now, his knees started to her repeatedly while his attack kicked in. He started shaking his head, he held his hair with both his hand and pulled it so harshly, felt like he would tear it away.

He shouted so loudly, "Vandigana! Vandigana!" he shouted in the air before he witnessed me, and immediately stood on his feet.

But, today? I wasn't afraid! I was not scared of what he had to do with me. Because whatever it will be? It won't be worse than what I have been through.

He forced his step almost too near to mine that I shuddered backwards, he kept stepping again and again, his eyes red and his anger was holding him captive.

His body was furious and frantic, he looked like an animal who would jump into a dense state.
And I wasn't scared.

I let him, get mad, get upset.
"I am not going back to Vandigana! Not until I know the truth!" I demanded, taking the name that triggered him.

He yelled a loud "Ahh!" and raised his hand, started punching this promotion board of a local hair shop on the pathway, and turned to me,

I was ready to take the same hit, his eyes had forgotten me. They didn't seem to recognize me, and he was probably going to make me the next promotion board, but I said words.
And it all washed off.

"I am, Zehra! Daiwik, your Zehra," My words were spoken, and his angry self that was buzzing with rage was brought to calm. His body had stilled while he saw my face, the redening of his white pool, was turning back to reality. His darkened eyes had come down to normal.

He looked at me, stared at my face, his hand raised and his fingertips with those new newfounds tried to graze my cheek but they restrained back.

And he sat down on the floor again, his breath heavy and he tried to calm down, looking at his hand, that he had almost raised at me, he was watching it. And shaking his head, "I don't deserve you, Zehra. I don't deserve anything that you had to offer. I made the biggest mistake of my life, and I did not want you to find out. And I don't think I can still bring myself to tell you. But, once again when I saw you. A new hope in me rose, the expectancy that I could start it all over again. This is why, I brought you from chandravani Haveli, and when I did. My anger wasn't directed to you that day. It was directed towards me. That is because I failed. You were in a brothel, suffering.
Because I did what I did. When I begged you to see me, to like me to love me. It was all because I wanted you to fall in love with this Daiwik. To fall in love with me. And not all that the past was. And I did make you fall in love. But I do not want that part of our world to come to life. Please, Zehra forget about it. Whatever it was, let's live in the illusion that keeps us both together. Attached.
And to answer your question, if the letters were from me? If the Gajra's were from me? If...if the baskets were from me? Partially yes," His few words of begging and half explanation weren't enough.