34. Mukhtalif

ZEHRA

I heard the door knock, Running to the door I opened it, and Daiwik stood there with a wide smile on his face, he lowered his head, turned to scan the empty living room and clutched my wrist pulling me close to his warm body.

Keeping a peck of a kiss on my lips, "Another worth morning!" He said over my lips and pulled back. "I am late for work, I need to leave. I won't be here for dinner." He said, and pushed away, stepping back.

I frowned, "Why?" I asked him,

"I am going to the main city, have something to look out for, I will be returning tomorrow morning." He broke the news, and my eyes zeroed in on him, "Oh," I said dispirited with the thought of not seeing him in the evening.

I blinked, but he cupped my cheeks in his hand and urged me to meet his eyes, I looked up following his action, "Just two more days, Zehra, then we will be on the trip," He reminded me pumping me with courage. I gave a nod.

He smiled once again, leaning again and kissing me in between the two doors so that nowhere from the house anyone could catch sight of what was happening.

Well, as if they encountered me kissing? Will truly be a bother, his brother heard us yesterday. I don't think anything will peak that embarrassment. I haven't faced Dev after that, and he left later in the afternoon.

He pulled back, "I'll see Maa, before leaving," he said and entered the room. I nodded and let in, pushing aside.

He removed his wallet and kept it on the cabinet where Divya's books were. He turned to me, and met my eyes, telling me to take cash from them before he turned and left. I couldn't call Ammi the day before yesterday, but I did yesterday with Dev's phone.

She said she urgently needed the money. I still have the four thousand five hundred he gave me last time. I need a few more bucks so I can send it to her. I looked at his purse as he went inside the room.

Wondering if I can take as much as five thousand again. Without his permission, I walked up to his wallet and took a few notes of money voluntarily. Enough, that accumulating the whole money will make my mother survive another month. I kept the wallet back

I stepped back, and he came outside again and raised his brow. He took his wallet in the back pocket without even checking how much taken took. He stepped outside, but before disappearing, he halted took a step back and kissed me one last time. I heard his mother clattering something because she witnessed it from the bedroom. He just walked away, laughing.

His mother was shouting how shameless we were, wait till you hear the neighbour complaining about what we were doing on the porch.

I just shied away.

~

The door opened again, in the afternoon, I and his mother were the only ones at home. She was taking her afternoon nap, and I was solving the math equations that Divya asked me to help her with.

Dev stood at the door he sat beside me. I immediately jerked, still mortified about my actions earlier. When he took the book from my hand and solved something I was stuck at within a few seconds. My eyes were wide, "How did you?" I jumped when he just shrugged.

"I was a good student," he said and started solving another one.

I looked at the money I kept under one of the vases and turned to him, "I need a favour," I asked him and he gave a nod. "What?" He was utterly focused on the book. Solving something very hard, I would have slipped it just because of how long the question was, he is a genius!

"I want you to get a round at Daiwik's home and then, can I use your bank account to transfer some money to my mother?" I asked him, he looked up at me, narrowing his eyes at me.