42. Gaddar

ZEHRA

My mind was lingering upon what I heard back at home and also connecting the dots to what he said to me. What was the truth? That he has hidden from me.

And leaving the truth, he has hurt people?

He has made people limbless for hurting me? I remember the day clearly when I heard the news, that the six men who used to hang around the town, have been cut down. I did not put meaning into it.

******

PAST ( 9 months ago ~) -:-

I did not think about the consequences of what would happen, if Murshad found out that I escaped home to give an examination, now that I was getting late to reach home.

I still ran with Anju to go meet the Gajra guy, to see him and hit him and ask him how he left! And did not come to save me!

I was soon, stopped in front of this yellow house with its doors open, its entrances graced with two big trunk trees, it looked old like any of the houses in Vandigana.

I walked up toward the entrance and my feet halted at this, house filled with guests, all dressed well, and now were sitting together, talking with with each other

I walked up toward the entrance and my feet halted at this, house filled with guests, all dressed well, and now were sitting together, talking with with each other. Two guys of the same height were sitting in front of a photo of a man, who looked very young, with a garland over his frame.

"It's his brother's death anniversary! That is why he came back, you should see him! Ask him! Tell him to take you with him? Zehra!" Anju asked me.

Today is a tough day for him, should I?

But if I don't today, he and I will never get the chance. Maybe he abandoned me truly, but one last time. I want to ask him one last time. I walked inside the house one step and two before I was completely inside.

But the moment I stepped in, some men turned to me and started whispering the things, I heard the whole day today in the market. The same words as me and my photo.

I am controlled by dread, Dai will never quit me for some photos, he would understand what I have been through. He will support me.

I saw some woman, who looked at me with the same disgusted look, some of the women stood and caught my hand. "This girl first destroyed the name of the whole town! Why are you here?" She pushed me and I faltered two steps back.

Anju stepped beside me, "Aunty! Whatever happened to her? Why will it affect you?" She fought for my side.

"Why else! Now no one will marry the daughters of this town! Thinking all of them are shameless like this one!" She yelled and the other woman sitting on the table reciprocated with her words.

I looked around the house, to find that one man who would stand up for me. But none of the family members were visible to my sight. All were busy in the preparations for the death anniversary.