POA 11

"Hey Rory" She turns to see Harry standing behind her seat.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Well Professor Lupins giving me some lessons and he asked me to ask you if you wanted to come. I was going now"

"Sure I'll come" She says standing and following him out of Gryffindor and to the History of Magic classroom. It was dark and empty when they arrived so Rory lit the lamps with her wand whilst they waited for Remus. He arrived five minutes later carrying a large packing case, which heheaved onto Professor Binn's desk.

"Rory you decided to join us"

"Curiosity. You know me" She smiles at him.

"What's that?" Harry said pointing at the case.

"Another boggart," Remus said, stripping off his cloak. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real dementor. The boggart will turn into a dementor when he sees you, so we'll be able to practice on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like."

"Okay," Harry said, trying to sound as though he wasn't apprehensive at all and merely glad that Remus had found such a good substitute for areal dementor.

"So." Remus had taken out his own wand, and indicated that Harry should do the same. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, Harry -- well beyond ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

"You're teaching him the Patronus Charm. That's actually a smart thing to do"

"I was going to teach you both actually"

"No need Moony. I already know it" Rory says smiling at him.

"Really" He raises an eyebrow at her whilst Harry looks confused at them.

"Yep. Wanna see?" He nods at her as she pulls out her wand "Expecto Patronum" a white mist shoots out of her wand taking the form of a wolf that walks around Harry a few times before disappearing. Remus looks at her with a proud look.

"That was amazing when did you learn that"

"About a month after we returned to school the Dementors were putting me on edge" He nods in understanding whilst Harry still looks amazed.

"How does it work?" Harry said finally speaking.

"Well, when done correctly, It conjures up a Patronus which is a kind of anti- dementor -- a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the dementor. The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the dementor feeds upon, hope, happiness, the desire to survive but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the dementors can't hurt it. But I must warn you, Harry, that the charm might be too advanced for you. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"Do all Patronus's look like a wolf?" Harry asked curiously looking at his sister.

"Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it." She answers him.

"And how do you conjure it?"

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory." Remus tells him. Harry starts thinking.

"Right,"

"The incantation is this" Remus clears his throat. "Expecto patronum!"

"Expecto patronum, " Harry repeats under his breath whilst Rory sits at the side of the room "expecto patronum."