OOTP 3

"What's the Order of the?" Harry began.

"Not here, boy!" snarled Moody. "Wait till we're inside!" He pulled the piece of parchment out of Harry's hand and set fire to it with his wand tip. The message curled into flames and floated to the ground. We were standing outside number eleven. Harry was looking around for the house.

"But where's?"

"Think about what you've just memorized," Remus told him quietly. Number twelve, Grimmauld Place emerged out of nowhere between numbers eleven and thirteen. It was as though an extra house had inflated, pushing those on either side out of its way. Rory looked at Harry as he gaped at it.

"Come on, hurry," growled Moody, prodding Harry in the back. Harry walked up the worn stone steps first staring at the newly materialised door. Its black paint was shabby and scratched. The silver door knocker was in the form of a twisted serpent. There was no keyhole or letterbox. Remus pulled out his wand and tapped the door once. Many loud, metallic clicks and what sounded like the clatter of a chain could be heard. The door creaked open.

"Get in quick, Harry," Remus whispered. "But don't go far inside and don't touch anything." Harry stepped over the threshold into the almost total darkness of the hall. He could smell damp, dust, and a sweetish, rotting smell; the place had the feeling of a derelict building. He looked over his shoulder and saw them all filing in behind him, Remus and Tonks carrying
his trunk whilst Rory carried Hedwig's cage. Moody was standing on the top step and releasing the balls of light the Put-Outer had stolen from the streetlamps; they flew back to their bulbs and the square beyond glowed momentarily with orange light before Moody limped inside and closed the front door, so that the darkness in the hall became complete.

"Here" He rapped Harry hard over the head with his wand lifting the Disillusionment Charm.
"Now stay still, everyone, while I give us a bit of light in here," Moody whispered. There was a soft hissing noise and then old-fashioned gas lamps sputtered into life all along the walls, casting a flickering insubstantial light over the peeling wallpaper and threadbare carpet of a long, gloomy hallway, where a cobwebby chandelier glimmered overhead and age-blackened portraits hung crooked on the walls. Both the chandelier and the candelabra on a rickety table nearby were shaped like serpents. There were hurried footsteps and Mrs. Weasley, emerged from a door at the far end of the hall. She was beaming in welcome as she hurried toward them.

"Rory dear you worried me a bit you were gone longer than we expected" She pulled Rory into a hug.

"Hey Mama bear"

"Oh, Harry, it's lovely to see you!" she whispered, pulling him into a rib-cracking hug next before holding him at arm's length and examining him critically. "You're looking peaky; you need feeding up, but you'll have to wait a bit for dinner, I'm afraid" She turned to the gang of wizards behind them and whispered urgently, "He's just arrived, the meeting's started" The wizards all made noises of interest and excitement and began filing past Harry toward the door through which Mrs. Weasley had just come; Harry made to follow, but Mrs. Weasley held him back. "No, Harry, the meeting's only for members of the Order. Ron and Hermione are upstairs, you can wait with them until the meeting's over and then we'll have dinner. And keep your voice down in the hall," she added in an urgent whisper.

"Why?"

"I don't want to wake anything up."

"What d'you?"

"I'll explain later, I've got to hurry, I'm supposed to be at the meeting. Rory are you joining us?"

"Er no I'm just gonna head up to my room. Feeling a bit tired" She smiles at Rory nodding before heading to the meeting "Come on Harry I'll show you where you're sleeping. Make sure you don't make a noise" Rory said leading him quietly past a pair of long, moth-eaten curtains, which held the portrait of Sirius's very annoying mother. They started up the dark staircase, passing a row of house elf heads mounted on plaques on the wall. All of them had the same rather snout like nose.