OOTP 9

The week in Romania had gone by far too quickly and Rory was now sat on the Hogwarts express with the twins and Lee, they were talking about the twins latest product ideas. Charlie had introduced Rory to a few people from his work including some of the healers.

"I wonder who the new defence teacher is" Lee said as the twins finished showing him their latest product.

"I don't know but looking at the book we had to buy I'm going to say not a good one. Maybe it's another Lockhart" Rory answered him as Logan and Isaac joined them. They continued talking until they arrived at Hogwarts. The train began to slow down and the usual racket up and down it can be heard as everybody scrambled to get their luggage and pets assembled, ready for departure. Isaac and Logan headed off to grab their bits whilst the others all grabbed their luggage as George grabbed Phoenix and Fred took Atlas.

"I can take one of them" Rory tries to tell the twins but they just wave her away walking off. They shuffled out of the compartment feeling the first sting of the night air on their faces as they joined the crowd in the corridor. Slowly moving toward the doors before stepping down onto the platform. Rory couldn't hear Hagrid's voice instead a brisk female one was calling.

"First years line up over here, please! All first years to me!" A lantern came swinging toward them and by its light they saw the prominent chin and severe haircut of Professor Grubbly-Plank, the witch who had taken over Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures lessons for a while the previous year.

"I wonder where Hagrid is?" Rory said looking at the twins and Lee, they all shrug not sure either. They moved off along the platform and out through the station. They reached the hundred or so stagecoaches that always took the students above first year up to the castle they were horseless to most students but Rory had been able to see them from day one. The horses were completely fleshless, their black coats clinging to their skeletons, of which every bone was visible. Their heads were dragonish, and their pupil-less eyes white and staring. Wings sprouted from each wither, vast, black leathery wings that looked as though they ought to belong to giant bats. Rory glanced at the creatures for a moment before George pulled her attention away as they walked towards the nearest unoccupied coach. George handed Phoenix to Fred before climbing in and holding his hands out to pull Rory up like always.

"It's weird that's the last time you'll be able to do that on the first day of school" Rory said as she sat next to him opposite Lee and Fred.

"Our last year" Lee said.

"And it's gonna be epic" Fred and George say in unison. Rattling and swaying, the carriages moved in convoy up the road. When they passed between the tall stone pillars topped with winged boars on either side of the gates to the school grounds, Hogwarts Castle, loomed ever closer, a towering mass of turrets, jet-black against the dark sky, here and there a window blazing fiery bright above them. The carriages jingled to a halt near the stone steps leading up to the oak front doors and Fred got out of the carriage first holding out his hands to help Rory jump down next.

"Thank you Freddie" He winked at her before taking Phoenix from Lee before Rory had chance. She looked around and noticed Harry looking at one of the horse like creatures. They headed off to the castle. The entrance hall was ablaze with torches and echoing with footsteps as the students crossed the flagged stone floor for the double doors to the right, leading to the Great Hall and the start-of-term feast. The four long House tables in the Great Hall were filling up under the starless black ceiling, which was just like the sky they could glimpse through the high windows. Candles floated in mid air all along the tables, illuminating the silvery ghosts who were dotted about the Hall and the faces of the students talking eagerly to one another, exchanging summer news, shouting greetings at friends from other Houses, eyeing one another's new haircuts and robes. They took a seat at the Gryffindor table with Angelina and Alicia. Looking over to the staff table that ran along the top wall of the Hall.