OOTP 22

"Hey," Rory said to Harry as she, Fred and George come to join him, Ron and Hermione.

"Ginny's had a word with us about you," Fred said, stretching out his legs on the table in front of him and causing several booklets on careers with the Ministry of Magic to slide off onto the floor. "She says you need to talk to Sirius face to face?" Rory had offered him the mirror but he wanted to talk to Sirius properly in person.

"What?" Hermione said sharply, freezing with her hand halfway toward picking up make a bang at the department of magical accidents and catastrophes.

"Yeah" Harry said, trying to sound casual, "yeah, I thought I'd like"

"Don't be so ridiculous," Hermione said, straightening up and looking at him as though she could not believe her eyes. "With Umbridge groping around in the fires and frisking all the owls?"

"Well, we think we can find a way around that," George said, stretching and smiling. "It's a simple matter of causing a diversion. Now, you might have noticed that we have been rather quiet on the mayhem front during the Easter holidays?"

"What was the point, we asked ourselves, of disrupting leisure time?" continued Fred. "No point at all, we answered ourselves. And of course, we'd have messed up people's studying too, which would be the very last thing we'd want to do." He gave Hermione a sanctimonious little nod. She looked rather taken aback by this thoughtfulness. "But it's business as usual from tomorrow," Fred continued briskly. "And if we're going to be causing a bit of uproar, why not do it so that Harry can have his chat with Sirius?"

"Yes, but still," Hermione said with an air of explaining something very simple to somebody very obtuse, "even if you do cause a diversion, how is Harry supposed to talk to him?"

"Umbridge's office," Harry said quietly.

"Are you insane?" Hermione said in a hushed voice. Ron had lowered his leaflet on jobs in the cultivated fungus trade and was watching the conversation warily.

"I don't think so," Harry said, shrugging.

"And how are you going to get in there in the first place?" Harry was ready for this question.

"Sirius's knife," he said.

"Excuse me?"

"Christmas before last Sirius gave me a knife that'll open any lock," Harry said. "So even if she's bewitched the door so Alohomora won't work, which I bet she has"

"What do you think about this?" Hermione demanded of Ron.

"I dunno," Ron said, looking alarmed at being asked to give an opinion. "If Harry wants to do it, it's up to him, isn't it?"

"Spoken like a true friend and Weasley," Fred said, clapping Ron hard on the back. "Right, then. We're thinking of doing it tomorrow, just after lessons, because it should cause maximum impact if everybody's in the corridors. Harry, we'll set it off in the east wing somewhere, draw her right away from her own office I reckon we should be able to guarantee you, what, twenty minutes?" he said, looking at George.

"Easy," George said.

"What sort of diversion is it?" asked Ron.

"You'll see, little bro," Fred said, as Rory, him and George got up again. "At least, you will if you trot along to Gregory the Smarmy's corridor round about five o'clock tomorrow." At 5 o'clock the next evening he unmistakable sounds of a diversion going off in the distance. There were screams and yells reverberating from somewhere above them. People exiting the classrooms all around us were stopping in their tracks and looking up at the ceiling fearfully just as Umbridge came pelting out of her classroom as fast as her short legs would carry her. Pulling out her wand, she hurried off in the opposite direction to the twins. Rory gave Harry a nod before going to find the twins. It was just like the night when Trelawney had been sacked. Students were standing all around the walls in a great ring some of them, covered in a substance that looked very like Stinksap; teachers and ghosts were also in the crowd. Prominent among the onlookers were members of the Inquisitorial Squad, who were all looking exceptionally pleased with themselves, and Peeves, who was bobbing overhead, gazed down upon Fred and George, who stood in the middle of the floor with the unmistakable look of two people who had just been cornered.