OOTP 14

After seeing Charlie Rory's mood improved a lot. She spent a lot of the Sunday after Hogsmeade with Harry and Ron doing her own homework and helping them with theirs. They had decided to make the most of what could be the last nice day of the year and decided to do it down by the lake. Hermione sat knitting having already completed her homework whilst the twins sat nearby with Lee discussing new products, every so often sending Rory a note for some input without the others hearing mainly Hermione. Harry also seemed in a better mood after yesterdays meeting which Rory was glad of. On Monday they found a new notice on the Gryffindor notice board that had attracted a small group of students. A large sign had been affixed to the Gryffindor notice board, so large that it covered everything else on there — the lists of second-hand spellbooks for sale, the regular reminders of school rules from Argus Filch, the Quidditch team training schedule, the offers to barter certain Chocolate Frog cards for others, the twin's new advertisement for testers, the dates of the Hogsmeade weekends, and the lost and found notices. The new sign was printed in large black letters and there was a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature.

 The new sign was printed in large black letters and there was a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature

Rory noticed Harry and Ron reading the notice over the heads of some anxious looking second years.

"Does this mean they're going to shut down the Gobstones Club?" one of them asked his friend.

"I reckon you'll be okay with Gobstones," Ron said darkly, making the second year jump. "I don't think we're going to be as lucky, though, do you?" he asked Harry as the second years hurried away. Harry was reading the notice through again. The happiness that had filled him since Saturday was gone. His insides were pulsing with rage.

"This isn't a coincidence," he said, his hands forming fists.

"She knows." Rory added making them turn to her.

"She can't," Ron said at once.

"There were people listening in that pub. And let's face it, we don't know how many of the people who turned up we can trust. Any of them could have run off and told Umbridge."

"Zacharias Smith!" Ron said at once, punching a fist into his hand. "Or I thought that Michael Corner had a really shifty look too"

"I wonder if Hermione's seen this yet?" Harry said, looking around at the door to the girls' dormitories.

"Let's go and tell her," Ron said. He bounded forward, pulled open the door, and set off up the spiral staircase whilst Rory stood watching and waiting for it to end badly for him. He was on the sixth stair when it happened. There was a loud, wailing, klaxon like sound and the steps melted together to make a long, smooth stone slide. There was a brief moment when Ron tried to keep running, arms working madly like windmills, then he toppled over backward and shot down the newly created slide, coming to rest on his back at Harry's feet.

"Er — I don't think we're allowed in the girls' dormitories," Harry said, pulling Ron to his feet and trying not to laugh. Rory walked over to them laughing as Ron turned to glare at her just as two fourth-year girls came zooming gleefully down the stone slide.