DH 3

By seven o'clock on Harry's birthday all the guests had arrived, led into the house by Fred and George, who had waited for them at the end of the lane. Hagrid had honoured the occasion by wearing his best, and horrible, hairy brown suit. Although Remus smiled as he shook Harry's hand, he looked rather unhappy. It was all very odd, Tonks, beside him, looked simply radiant.

"Happy birthday, Harry," she said, hugging him tightly. Rory sent Remus a small smile that he returned. 

"Seventeen, eh!" said Hagrid as he accepted a bucket-sized glass of wine from Fred. "All righ', Aurora, Ron, Hermione?"

"We're fine," Hermione said. "How are you?"

"Ar, not bad. Bin busy, we got some newborn unicorns. I'll show yeh when yeh get back" Harry's eyes met Rory's as he avoided Ron's and Hermione's gazes and Hagrid rummaged in his pocket. "Here, Harry couldn' think what ter get yeh, but then I remembered this." He pulled out a small, slightly furry drawstring pouch with a long string, evidently intended to be worn around the neck. "Mokeskin. Hide anythin' in there an' no one but the owner can get it out. They're rare, them."

"Hagrid, thanks!"

"S'nothin'," Hagrid said with a wave of a dustbin-lid-sized hand, "An' there's Charlie! Always liked him—hey Charlie!" Rory looked up to see Charlie approaching, running his hand slightly ruefully over his new, brutally short haircut.

"Hi, Hagrid, how's it going?"

"Bin meanin' ter write fer ages. How's Norbert doin'"

"Norbert?" Charlie laughed. "The Norwegian Ridgeback? We call her Norberta now."

"Wha oh yeah, I remember Aurora saying something about that before"

"Oh yeah," Charlie said as he wrapped an arm around Rory's waist, placing a quick kiss on her cheek.

"How can you tell?" Hermione asked.

"They're a lot more vicious." Charlie said. He looked over his shoulder and dropped his voice. "Wish Dad would hurry up and get here. Mum's getting edgy." we all looked over at Mrs. Weasley. She was glancing repeatedly at the gate.

"I think we'd better start without Arthur," she called to the garden at large after a moment or two. "He must have been held up at oh!" They all saw it at the same time: a streak of light that came flying across the yard and onto the table, where it resolved itself into a bright silver weasel, which stood on its hind legs and spoke with Mr. Weasley's voice.

"Minister of Magic coming with me." The Patronus dissolved into thin air.

"We shouldn't be here," Remus said at once. "Harry I'm sorry. I'll explain another time bye wolf" He seized Tonks's wrist and pulled her away; they reached the fence, climbed over it, and vanished from sight. Mrs. Weasley looked bewildered.

"The Minister but why? I don't understand" But there was no time to discuss the matter; a second later, Mr. Weasley had appeared out of thin air at the gate, accompanied by Rufus Scrimgeour, instantly recognizable by his mane of grizzled hair. The two newcomers marched across the yard toward the garden and the lantern-lit table, where everybody sat in silence, watching them draw closer.

"Sorry to intrude," Scrimgeour said, as he limped to a halt before the table. "Especially as I can see that I am gate crashing a party." His eyes lingered for a moment on the giant Snitch cake. "Many happy returns."

"Thanks," Harry said.

"I require a private word with you," Scrimgeour went on. "Also with Mr. Ronald Weasley and Miss Hermione Granger."

"Us?" Ron said, sounding surprised, "Why us?"

"I shall tell you that when we are somewhere more private," Scrimgeour said. "Is there such a place?" he demanded of Mr. Weasley.