Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Edward's POV –

As I recovered from the darkness I was aware of three things; the awful smell of bleach which stung my nose, very annoying beeping sound coming from nearby and a soft hand clasping mine. I tried to open my eyes to see who it was. Unfortunately, my eyes didn't want to co-operate with my mind. I tried moving my fingers and toes. Ah, that works.

"Grandpa," an angelic voice whispered and someone came into the room.

"Yes?" a male questioned.

"He just moved his fingers," the voice said, sounding broken.

"He should be able to hear you now, and should come around shortly," the male informed.

The person sat beside me holding my had sniffled. I knew exactly who it was. Her sweet honey suckle aura surrounded me and her hand was so soft. What did the male mean about coming around? Where was I? Why couldn't I open my eyes? I felt sorry for Bella. I felt her pain from seeing me like this.

"Edward," when she said my name, butterflies started floating around inside my stomach.

"Edward, wake up soon," she told me. "I love you," she whispered quietly.

I squeezed her hand. I had to open my eyes, even just to see her face. I had to push the heaviness away. I couldn't stand the pain of hearing Bella, my Bella in so much pain. I had to keep trying and finally, I was bombarded with light.

"Edward," she said.

I scanned the room. The beeping was a machine beside me. It was linked to my chest. Then I focused on the person standing over me just by the shade of her hair. Then our eyes connected and I felt everything again – the urge to care, to protect, to love.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi," she replied blushing. Out of no-where she pulled me into a huge bone crushing huge.

"Whoa," I mumbled getting lost in her hair. I smelt amazing; strawberries and cream.

"Sorry," she said, backing away.

"No, come here," I begged.

It was now that I had to tell her. I had to tell her everything but not here though. I had to take her somewhere, into the woods maybe so that no one could hear. Especially not her mother or father, or her brother.

"Bella, come with me?" I asked, reaching for the I.V that was attached to my arm.

"Oh no you don't," she told me.

Just then a blond haired male came in, Dr Cullen. Bella's father. In contrast to her father there wasn't much resemblance and it seemed as though Bella inherited her genes from her mother. Just them the doctor smiled at me.

"I think we can take this out now," he informed me referring to the I.V still in my hand.

First, he removed the dressing. Then he gently held a dry gauze pad over the insertion site, while he added pressure as he smoothly removed the catheter. Finally, he kept pressure on the site for a minute until the blood stopped. It was the I remembered he was a vampire. It made me a little uneasy but he showed incredible restraint. He looked at my arm, it was as if nothing had ever happened.

"Edward, I am unsure as to why the laceration to your neck did not heal as quickly as the insertion site for the I.V. When you got here you were unconscious and I gave you some pain relief. When I seen your accelerated healing still hadn't kicked in I knew something was wrong, so I gave you some general anaesthetic to do some surgery. You have been asleep for 32 hours," Dr Cullen informed me.