Chapter 42: Re:BorN - Jackpot!

Back to where we left off...

Rosso: The love between Mei and I can't be severed BY ANYONE!!!!

...Rosso sliced through Mundus' giant neck with a tremendous slash, decapitating the Prince of Darkness... leaving Mundus' gigantic headless body to collapse on the ground hard and so does the head; landed and rolled near the body.

Believing it was over, Rosso slowly brought Mei and himself landed safely to the ground with his wings before it vanished. As they did so, the Demon Slayer felt his body begin to numb, collapsing until she caught him.

Mei: Rosso!! are you alright...?!

Rosso: *grunts* I've been through a lot worse, Mei... I think changing my Breathing Styles takes too much of a toll on my body... it's much different than the Styles I inherited from my dad...

She knew he was in pain, evidently from his battered body she looked at, even his ragged breathing due to switching his Breathing Styles. His battle garb was covered with cuts and dirt, his coat was nearly shredded.

Mei: Rosso... I'm sorry... *hic*

Rosso: Mei...

Tears swell around the corner of Mei's eyes, feeling remorse upon seeing how much living hell Rosso had been through. And she understands why he distanced himself from her in the beginning. Especially the fact she noticed how many injuries he sustained around his body.

Mei: *sob* This is all my fault right...? *sob* A lot of people got hurt because of me... *hic*

Rosso: ...It's okay, Mei...

To her mix of surprise and confusion, Rosso gently holds Mei's head and puts her forehead close to his as he smiles, which Mei gently smiles in return.

Rosso: I did promise we'll come back home... together...

Mei: *sob* I knew you would come and save me... *sob* I never thought you risked yourself so much not just for everyone else... but for me... *hic*

Rosso: *smiles sincerely* ...I know...

However, their long-lasting rekindling was interrupted when Rosso whiffed up a strong, foul stench. His eyes widened and his face was overcome with a sense of dread as he almost choked out, and slowly let out a cold sweat, leaving Mei slightly worried upon looking at his petrified face.

Mei: Is there something wrong...?

Rosso: *raspy breathing* The scent of blood... it just got stronger... I thought I was able to kill Mundus... Don't tell me...

Both Jeanne and Sieg, watching from above with their dragons, overcame with a sense of dread; having the same conclusion as Rosso.

Sieg: Wait... you don't mean...?

Jeanne: The Prince of Darkness... he's not dead yet...

???: You wretched Quarter-Breed....

A sudden sense of dread instilled Rosso and Mei as their eyes widened. They turned around and saw something very dreadful... Mundus... turns out, he still withstood the Hinokami Kagura attack but left terrible burns on his body. His "head" reattached to his body thanks to his living tissue.