Chapter 36: Re:BorN - The Tower of Nemesis

Hidden Village

Afterward, Garend brought them to a small secluded village located within the underground cavern. A village inhabited by different kinds of Devils, be they humanoid, or any kind. Especially those that appeared to be a slime.

Nero: *Whistle* Nice place you guys have...

Jeanne: This village. Are they...

Garend: Yes, they are the resistance. We have been trying to fight and oppose the King of the Underworld...

Nelvin: Mundus...

Garend: That is correct... When Mundus took over and had control of this realm, the rest of the villagers lost their homes, friends, comrades and families.

Everyone shares their sympathies for the villagers and soldiers alike. It hit them when they learned Mundus plundered their homeland in the land of Inferno, all just for his self-satisfying conquest.

Rias: I'm sorry to hear that...

Jeanne: Must be hard to lose your family and home...

Garend: We may have lost everything... But, we still have each other...

Nelvin: Garend, you still held hope... For the best of your people like Sparda...

Garend: Indeed...

Then Garend turned his attention to the approaching Demon Soldier, who informed him in ancient demonic language about a special event.

Demon Soldier: *speaking in Ancient Language*

Garend: *speaking in Ancient Language*

Basara: So... What did he say?

Garend: The rest of you will come with us... Except Nelvin since he has knowledge of our kind's ancient way.

Viola: Okay... What for?

Garend: *smiles* Ceremony.

And that's when the main event begins. The inhabitants chant continuously as if they were encouraging them to do something. One of the villagers handed the youths the bowls of ooze.

Nero: What the hell?!

Villagers: *speaks in ancient language*

Mio: What are they saying? I can't understand them!

Basara: Me neither!

The rescue teams are initially confused at first. But that's when Garend enlightens the teens and one young adult.

Garend: Drink the ooze.

Soon, the teams paused in silence for a brief moment... until Issei literally freaked out.

Issei: WHAAAAAAAT!?

Basara: Wait... are you saying...?

Sieg: You want us to drink... THIS?

Garend: Yes. And I can assure you, youngsters, it will help you understand us perfectly.

Nero was quick to trust Garend due to the latter's ties with his grandfather, he didn't have any complaints before he took the Brute Knight's advice and was ready to chug it.

Nero: *gulp* Well... here goes nothing...

Down with a hatch, the teens watched Nero chug down the entire ooze from the bowl. Once he does, he slowly understands what the villagers are saying.

Villagers: Drink the ooze! Drink the ooze!

Nero: Hey... I can understand perfectly...

Nero then turned his attention to his friends.