Tragedy

Warning: The beginning of this chapter features verbal depictions of abuse. The ending contains physical injury. If these themes make you uncomfortable please choose a different chapter or different story.

Roxanne walked into the office,knowing what was coming. In the chair sat a half drunken Killian,cigarette in hand.
"You were supposed to turn those papers in two hours ago,you stupid ____" Roxanne blocked out the obscene comment.
"Sir,it's 10:00 AM,I have turned them in on time." Wrong answer. Wordlessly he stood up and Roxanne braced herself.
*SMACK*
The slap felt worse than it usually did. She was just happy he didn't punch her like last week. It was harder to explain off a black eye than just a red mark on your face. She could see Jonas just behind her,flinching as if he was about to be slapped like that too. Even though he seemed to want to compete with her in studies,she didn't think he wanted to be the first in this occasion.
Walking out of the office,she thought about her situation.
Man,just once I'd like to hit him back.
Her anger fueled thoughts were stopped by George. He did his usual flirtation and asked her to go to Bows Gorge. Unbeknownst to them someone else was listening in. They decided that they would go that afternoon.

______________
"When they get halfway across,fray the rope."
"That's insane,they could fall in and be killed!"
"Would you rather me send you back to Chicago? Maybe you can deal with Black Hawk. It's only to scare them."
"I can't-"
"Do you want the same treatment she got?"
"No sir."
"Then you obey me."
"...yes sir."
God forgive me,and don't let anything happen to them.

___________
Roxanne and George trudged their way up the paths on their way to the gorge.
"Did you hear them say that it was Tom who made that awesome steak?"
"Was it really? That boy can cook?"
"Yeah we caught him making some more at like 2 AM in the Echo Kitchen."
"That's hilarious. Hey my birthday is coming up,I'll be 20 whole years old. Maybe I can get him to bake me a cake."
"20? Goodness gracious we'd better send you to the retirement home,grandma."
"You're 3 months older than me,peepaw. I hear those bones creaking from here."
"Darn it,I forgot. I guess I played myself there." Finally making it to the bridge the began to cross. Something felt wrong. George was ahead of Roxanne and he made it to the other end. Roxanne stood in the middle of the bridge and gazed across the gap to where it emptied into the ocean. As George turned around to ask Roxanne something,he spotted something wrong with the ropes on the other side. They were fraying,and fast. Before he could warn her to get to his side,they snapped.

For Roxanne time seemed to slow down. As the bridge began to collapse she ran towards George. But the bridge began to twist knocking her down and tangling her hands and feet within the rope. She could hear him yell out in terror.
The bridge was half collapsed on on side,and the other began to snap under the weight. Hanging upside down Roxanne was trapped in terror. To untangle herself now she would definitely fall into the gorge,but the bridge was about to collapse. She heard cracking as a falling splintered board stuck her in her face gashing her nose and barely missing her eye. Then it happened. The bridge ropes broke. Sending Roxanne swinging violently into the cliffside,badly tearing up her neck. She could only see out of one eye,the other blinded by her own blood. Out of her one eye she saw someone on the opposite end of where she and George were. Michael? She could see him yelling something but her head pounded and her hearing was shot. Abruptly her heart sunk. The ropes were coming loose.
One by one they gave way,and she was sent plummeting into the riverbed below.
She felt her body hit the cold water,and everything went black.

Her unmoving body washed up onto the beach. Shadows seeped into skin,curving and painting her arms and face as though it was black ink.
A distant,faint voice repeated one thing,over and over again.
"Blood of Crowe,curse his name,curse this mortal who bears his flesh and face."
Andilohee,Demonawee.
Two red flames burned forms into her wrists,fading into her skin as if they were not there.