(8) Only Ever Yours

Juliette
"Tell your dad I said hi." I sigh. "I will. Be back next week. I love you." He chuckles. I smile, gnawing on my thumb. "Love you too Josiah." The line hangs up.

"Oooo." Alysa coos as she pushes my door. I roll my eyes and scoot over as she crawls into bed with me. She rests her head on my lap. I run my fingers through her soft hair, gently brushing a few strands off her face. "How are you?" I ask her. She stays silent, offering nothing but a subtle shrug.

Her phone that was laying next to me begins ringing. A number not saved, but I didn't have to guess as to who it was. He'd been calling since 4 nights ago. Since the last we saw them.

She doesn't blink as I reach for the phone and decline the call. "Don't let my shitty break up stop you from being with him." I sigh as I continue brushing her hair with my fingers. "You two were endgame."

She cracks a subtle smile. "He didn't tell me he was leaving." She mumbles. I stop brushing her hair and look down at her. "I didn't get a letter like you did. I didn't get anything. He left. My stuff was sitting outside of the house. I found out, through Austen, because of your letter." Her voice was beginning to crack. "He left me alone. Because for that year, I was alone. I can't forgive him."

I frown and continue brushing her hair. I didn't know what to say to my best friend who'd never before shed tears for a guy. Alysa was always my rock. But for once, someone was able to chip away at that. Bill had managed to break her heart.

Alysa's phone begins to ring. "Hello?" She says immediately answering. There's some murmuring on the other end as Alysa stands up. "My parents say hi." She chuckles. She sighs and hangs up. "They're at the restaurant waiting, so, I'll be back later." She says. "Why didn't you go home?" She asks. I shrug. "My dads been too preoccupied with me. He needs time with Sandra."

She frowns and hugs me. "I'll be back." She says as she pulls away. I hear the door close a few minutes later. I turn around pulling the curtains open as I watch her enter her car and drive off. I furrow my eyebrows spotting the same black Mercedes parked towards the back of the parking lot. In the same spot I've seen it for a few weeks now. Usually around this time. It stays for another minute or two, before driving away in the direction Alysa had left.

Tom
"Just go." I whisper to myself. I look at the food that was getting cold, and back towards the apartment. "FUCK!" I bark punching the car door. It'd been an hour since I saw Alysa leave. I even went for a drive to compose myself.

What would I even say to her. I didn't mean to threaten you, I was just jealous when I saw you dancing with the security guard that I specifically told to stay away two years ago? Hey, I didn't mean to flaunt Emi in front of you, I just wasn't myself.

When the truth is, I was still angry from having seen her dancing with him. The way his eyes were roaming down her body. The way his hand would 'accidentally' graze hers. The way in which she smiled at him. It felt like she were doing it intentionally, only she wasn't. I was hurt and angry. So when I woke up and heard their voices outside, I saw an opportunity to get back at her.

It made no sense. But that's what it's like when I snap. There's no sense of right or wrong for me. It's more so compulsive. In my head it's either me or them. A few days went by, I finally came to my senses, and here I am.

What I would say, I don't know. Why I was here, I don't know. I got in my car, and it took me here.  Fuck.

I grab the bag and before I can even realize what I'm doing, I'm already inside the apartment. I keep my head low, pulling tighter on my hoodie. A few girls walk by, noticeably uncomfortable as they move out of the way. I couldn't have someone recognize me and stop me because then I'd lose what little confidence I had in doing this.