(40) The Phone Call

Tom
"BILL HURRY UP!!" I scream at him, reaching over and pushing his knee downwards. The car roars as I push his foot down against the gas pedal. Alysa screams as Bill swerves to the right to avoid hitting a slower car.

"TOM GET OFF!!" Bill screams pushing me away.

"Bauer had a log record of having visited your father while he was imprisoned a year after the sentencing. Multiple phone calls. Around that time Bauer's father died under mysterious circumstances. The visits increased."

"GRAY ARE YOU HOME!?" I scream into the phone. "Not quiet, why are you yelling?? Is Juliette okay?"

I groan and bang my head against the head rest. "No, no, fuck!" I groan banging my fist against my forehead. "Where's my daughter, Tom?" He asks.

"Please hurry home." I groan. There's a loud screeching. The sound of a car making an abrupt turn and the roar of its engine. The line cuts off.

"Looking at the record of those incarcerated while your father was detained I was able to track the man who assaulted Ms.Emerson at the park. Bernard Otto. He was released a few months prior to the incident. Served 10 years for aggravated assault by nearly killing his wife. She managed to escape by grabbing a kitchen knife and slashing half his face."

"WHERE'S MY DAUGHTER!!" Gray shouts as he grabs me and slams me against the wall by the door. His eyes were swollen with tears as Sandra runs back into the living room. Her makeup was smeared from having been crying. "SHE'S NOT HERE!" Sandra shrieks, stomping her foot against the ground.

"There's no record of Otto after the assault. Nothing. I traced activity up to 2 days after the incident and then nothing. Like he disappeared. Or was taken out. There was no more activity up until a few weeks ago days after your father was released. I have two airplane ticket purchased under Bauer and Müeller. Immediately Barker has activity."

The front door was open when Gray arrived. The spare key was left inside the lock.

I always wondered how Gray knew everything that went on in his house. How we knew when I'd sneak into Juliette's room. How he knew if Juliette and I were messing around in the living room. How he knew everything.

Gray had cameras hidden around the place.

A dark shadow enters the apartment, slowly creeping into the living room area. Moments later Juliette appears from her room, having thought it was Gray maybe. Her face looked confused. She wasn't scared. She did seem surprised though, but she smiles at him. He glances to the side, and I quickly recognize that cold and sinister smirk.

They have a small conversation. Suddenly Juliette points to the open door, seemingly questioning how they got in. Her face then twists in confusion. He takes a step towards her and she takes a step back. They exchange a few words, and then her face completely changes. He lunges for her. She runs into the kitchen, grabbing a glass cup and tosses it at him. He ducks and continues chasing her. She runs behind the counter, quickly opening every cabinet door trying to place obstacles between her and him. Water was spilled from a knocked over water bottle that she accidentally hit with her hand as she turns and runs into the living room.

She had run in front of the couch. He carefully watches her from the other side. Both of them swaying from left to right. Juliette kicks the couch towards him, turning around and trying to make a run for the door. But he jumps over it, nearly stumbling, and manages to grab her by the back of her shirt. They both fall to the ground. Juliette manages to roll away, grabbing a vase and smashing it against his head. She tries running again, but slips on the broken glass. He looks dizzy, but he manages to grab Juliette's ankle and drags her back beneath him. She begins kicking at him, managing a good kick against his jaw. He falls backwards.