(47) The Night We Met

Tom
"One last time where it all started." Bill chuckles, bumping his shoulder against mine as his mic gets adjusted.

I chuckle, trying to force a smile for his sake. And for mine. But it was no use. I had this overwhelming and painful emptiness in my chest. He quickly realizes and frowns, politely asking the sound lady to give him a minute.

"Are you okay?" He asks me. I shrug and glance down at the floor of the old and abandoned warehouse. "How is it that the first time we ever played here three years ago, you were sulking. And today you're still sulking." He teases me in an attempt to get me to crack a genuine smile.

"Three years ago I didn't know Juliette." I mumble.

He chuckles and glances towards the makeshift curtain that was placed as a barrier between us and those invited to the exclusive show tonight.

"Isn't it crazy?" He asks. "How different things are? Three years ago, we played here because it was free. We had like 40 people show up, serving cheap vodka in an attempt to get people tipsy so they would think we were good." He laughs. "We were devilish. And..two best friends just so happened to be among those forty people." He mumbles with a smile on his lips as he glances down at his wedding band.

"That was the night we met." I whisper.

"You've come a long way, Tom." He finally says, looking back up at me. "Don't let that go to waste."

Juliette
The ally was just as creepy as I remembered it. For reasons unknown.. it was still hot and humid. The pavement was still wet from whatever reasons. Alysa yanks on my wrist to walk faster.

We eventually reach the big metallic doors that were swarmed by guards. The same doors we first walked through a little over three years ago when Alysa had dragged me to a show for a band I hadn't ever heard of. Outside stood a huge crowd of people desperately trying to get in to the last minute, exclusive show. Alysa pulls us to the side, weaseling through the crowd and towards a specific, stone cold face. Vince.

Alysa squeals in excitement, leaning in closely to him. "We've been through hell and back." She laughs. I furrow my eyebrows in bewilderment. "Are you stupid?" I ask as I feel a strong sense of dejavú. Vince cracks a rare smirk. "Ms.Emerson." He chuckles. I smile at him. "I was hoping you'd come out tonight." He says as he opens the door for us.

We walk through the darkness before reaching the railing. I have flashbacks of this place as I look down at the larger stage setup and the roughly hundred of people downstairs. Maybe even more. "Come on!" She squeals in excitement as she yanks me down the stairs.

Standing towards the front was Rosie, Emi and Josiah. All three of them waving in excitement.

I had nearly forgotten how strong Alysa was as she bulldozes through the crowd until we've reached the front left area. I look around the place seeing how much more professional it seemed than 3 years ago. The stage was larger. The place more full. A large curtain was put up. And this time, everyone knew who the boys were.

Rosie is the first of the three to wrap her arms around me. Emi was more shy. She opted for an arm squeeze and a teary eyed smiled. "There she is." Josiah chuckles pulling me in for a quick hug.

I stop breathing as I hear the loud lingering screech of a guitar being connected. There's a loud eruption of screaming and cheering. But nothing compared to Alysa's ear shattering shrieks. The lights are dimmed, a pressurized air sound explodes accompanied by smoke, and the curtains are partly opened.

I shake my head and look over at the group, specifically at Alysa. "I don't think I can do this." I nearly gasp from my inability to breathe right now. "Jules, don't go." Alysa calls out as I turn to walk away. From the corner of my eye, I see the boys take their place.