(10) The New or Old

Tom
"You heard it here America. Our favorite German bad boy is back. Tom Kaulitz who fell off the grid for more than a YEAR was rumored to be back two weeks ago after being spotted at a party outside of town. But no concrete proof could be given to confirm. That is until last night when he was spotted at a local carnival."

A picture of Juliette and I on the ferris wheel pops up on the screen.

"After some digging around we found that while in Germany, Tom had actually started dating a new girl."

A picture of Emi and I leaving the club appears on the screen. Moments later the picture of Juliette and I appears in a side by side comparison. The good thing was Juliette's face was slightly blurred from looking down and semi hidden because of her hair.

"Correct me if I'm wrong Paige, but that doesn't seem to be the same girl." The other reporter looks at both pictures and grins. "Oh it's not. There's no mistaking these are different girls. But let's use another picture for an even better view of the mystery girl. I think many of us will find she's not so mysterious."

Both pictures disappear and a new one appears. One of Juliette and I holding hands, laughing as we were beginning to run. "Oh fuck." Bill and I both hiss. There's a loud gasp from the live audience.

"Juliette Emerson." Both the women smirk at one another. "Juliette was reported as having been Tom's first and only girlfriend for just about a little over a year. The only girl to have ever caught Tom's eye. Of course back then Tom did a stellar job at keeping her hidden from the public eye.. it was never confirmed but after Tom's disappearance we only assumed they had called it quits."

I shut the tv off lowering my head. "You're fucked." Bill growls, as he reaches for a magazine and slaps it in front of me. The cover photo was of Juliette and I with a small picture of Emi and I in the corner. The title being "The Pain of Love: The New or the Old?"

"So. What's is going to be?"

Bill and I both flinch and turn around to look at Emi standing behind us with her arms crossed against her chest.

"The new or the old?" She hisses angrily.
_________________________________

I glance over at her. She'd been quiet the entire time I'd been driving. I knew she was hurting. But the thing about Emi is, she'd deal with it on her own. And from personal experience, it would eventually begin to destroy her. "Where do you want to go?" I ask her.

She shrugs. "Anywhere but the carnival." She mumbles. I stay silent and continue driving. "So the beach?" I ask her. "Have you taken her to the beach?" She asks. I stay silent and turn the car around. "Okay. The park?" She asks. I stay silent. "A pier or something?" I stay silent. "The boardwalk?" I stay silent. "Of course." She mumbles shaking her head.

I stop the car in an empty parking lot, slumping lower into the seat. "Emi I think we should talk." I mumble.

She continues looking out the passenger window. "If you're going to break up with me, I'd rather you do it at home."

I reach over for her hand, holding it in mine. It was warm. But there was never that tingly feeling that I felt with Juliette. She turns to look at me, I noticed her eyes were subtly red. "I hadn't seen her in over a year Emi. I thought maybe if I saw her, maybe I could close that chapter. But Juliette's more than that. She's more than a moment. More than just my ex girlfriend."

She lowers her gaze, nodding her head slowly. "Being with her is like being able to breathe again Emi. I don't feel so dark around her. Juliette makes me feel normal." I see my words hurt her as she turns around again. Probably to hide the tears she was holding in. "But being with you, I feel peace. I feel a sense of comfort that I don't feel with her."