7

Nicholas

"Any information on the girls he hired?" I asked Mitchell, my most trusted employee.

"No sir. He has covered his tracks thoroughly. But we're on it. We'll surely have some in no time." He answers.

"You better do, Mitch." I say through gritted teeth.

"Yes sir." He hangs up.
I groan. For years, I have been working on destroying Andres Kennedy but fate doesn't seem to be on my side. The bastard gets away everytime. Every. Single. Time.
My phone rings.

" Hi Ol." I say while boiling some broccoli.

"How you doin' Nick?" Olive sings.

"No info on AA." I say dryly.

She sighs." Yet. We'll figure something out N."

"Yeah. We better do." I clench my jaw.

"Anyways, what do you think about the newbie in your department?" She changes the topic- Hayley again- see? she never goes away.

" I don't know." 

"Her table is visible straight from your cabin dumbass."

"Whatever Ol."

"She is so freaking cute and sweet. She's legit won the hearts of the whole of our office population in one day! Can you believe it?" She asks excitedly.

Yeah, I believe it. She is that person. Full of life, spreading joy and smiles. And cupcakes. The reminder of the elevator brings a small smile on my face which I instantly kill.

"Hello?" Olive's voice brings me back.

"I'll call you later Ol. Dinner time."

"Ugh. Okay. Bye Nicki. "

"Bye Olive."

~

Seeing Hayley everyday is a task. She announces her arrival every morning with the tap of her heels on Mondays and Wednesdays and the faint squeak of her sneakers on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. My day starts with her vibing to some Taylor Swift song and it ends with her smile. The smile. The smile that could light up the entire world. The smile which hides her deepest secrets.
Faint squeaks of sneakers break my thoughts. There she is wearing a beige shirt which matches my trousers and a pair of jeans with white sneakers. Her shiny hair is tied into a messy bun. Today, she's softly singing something like, "they say the home is where the heart is....."
God save me.