14

Hayley

We stay in Nicholas' office till the Andres returns to his cabin. I quickly pack my things and get into the elevator with him .Suddenly, the lift stops with a jerk and the lights start blinking and finally go off. There's darkness everywhere, my hands start shaking. I have been afraid of the dark since I was a child. I found a way to cope with the dark once as a child but it wasn't possible now. I grab onto something beside me and hold it tightly. One moment I'm squeezing my eyes close with fear and in the next, two strong arms wrap around me.
"Are you okay?" Nick asks. There's a hint of concern in his voice. Or I think so.

"I'm afraid of the dark. Since I was a child. Please -please don't leave me just till the lights are back. " I request.

"It's okay. I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here." He slowly strokes my hair. I hug him even tighter. He feels like the warmth of the sun in winters. He feels safe. But he doesn't trust me, he thinks I'll use the fact that I know his vulnerability. I feel a tear stroke down my face. My traitorous eyes.

"You can open your eyes now moon. The lights are back."
Moon. Again. The word opens thousand cages of butterflies in my stomach. Fucking hormones.I slowly open my eyes and try to move away from him but he doesn't let me go and asks, "Why are you crying Moon?"

"I - I - nothing. " I say it in a voice so low even I can barely hear myself. He's about to say something but the elevator door dings and opens. I quickly free myself from his arms and run out thanking god for today being a Friday. I can cry in misery for two days straight.