26

Nick

It's good I overheard her otherwise I'm sure she would have taken the secret to her grave- she was crying behind that tree because of her Ex. I am going to kill that bastard. Olive couldn't have known it wasn't a joke but I sure did and now, I wasn't going to let it go again.

"Nick?" She says, her voice sweeter than sugar.

"Close the door." I order.

She nods and does as I asked. I don't care if I sound rude or harsh. I don't know why I can't let it go but every drop of my blood boils when the image of her crying behind the tree that day flashes in my mind.

"Do you need something?" Her voice brings me back.

"Yes. The truth." I say.

"About what?"
"You were crying because of your ex?"

Her eyes widen. " It was a joke, Nick. And it's been a year, let it go."

"Let it go? Your hands were shaking. So drop the act, you very well know that I know it wasn't a joke."

She sighs. "It was nothing. I was already emotional about my sister getting engaged and then my ex said ....... some things that's why the tears came out. That's it." I shrugged.

"What things? What did he say?"

"He just said somethings and I couldn't handle the truth." She looks away.

I stand up from my chair and walk towards her, anger flowing through me. "What did he say?"

"I-I don't remember okay?" Her voice breaks.

I scowl. "I know you remember. Stop lying."

"Then stop asking me questions I don't want to answer." She shouts.

I place my hand on her cheek. "I just want to help you. That's it. But I just need you to tell me who made you cry and why."

"I don't want your help!" She shouts and takes a step back. "And don't forget you don't have my trust yet. So stop acting like y-you do. And if you really want to help me, just please leave me alone and don't talk about this again. Please." Her voice breaks on the last word.
"Okay. I'm sorry."

She nods and leaves.She's right. It isn't my place to ask. But I will earn that too. I'll earn that and her trust and then I'll strangle her ex to death.