13

Hayley

After Ol left the cafe, I decided to do a little something for her and Nick. I took sometime off , thanks to Ol-the best HR and requested the cafe to let me use their kitchen for sometime (it was a really hard task, but I did it!) and made what I make best- cupcakes! They didn't take me a lot of time so I decided to go creative on the icing- The letters S-T-R-O-N-G-E-S-T for Olive and M-R- G-R-U-M-P-S- :) for Nicholas. I was done in about an hour with the cupcakes being neatly packed in a box . I wrote their names on the boxes with a crescent moon sign and walked back to the office. Ol wasn't in her cabin so I kept the box on her table and walked towards the elevator towards Nick's office.
I halted when I heard Olive and Nicholas fighting and shouting over something. Me. They both were fighting because of me. Because I couldn't keep my curiousity to myself and just had to know everything. Olive was being blamed because of me and .... And Nick didn't trust me. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes but I quickly blinked them away when I heard Olive leaving. She opened the door, stunned to find me she turned around and mouthed something to Nicholas. I forced myself to smile, as wide as I could and said, "Hey Ol! I got a surprise for you. On your desk. Hope you like it!" I winked at her. She gave me a hug and left leaving me and Nicholas in the cabin.

"Yes?" He says dryly. Just his voice is enough to bring me back on the verge of tears. But I blink them away again.

" Hi!" I smile. "I've got a little something for you too." I look towards the box in my hand.

"What for?" He walks towards me.

"Um. Uh for- you know. No reason. Just really touched by your uh-"

"Oh." He takes the box from my hand and opens it. He slowly reads out the icing, "Mr.Grumps?" He places the box on his table.
I start blurting out words without thinking, " I - I totally understand if you don't want them. I mean you can tell me if you want me to take them back. I can eat them. I l-love cupcakes. So much. Th-this was stupid I know. I'm stupid. I shouldn't have. I'm - I'm sorry . So so sorr-"
He takes a step closer and brings a finger to my lips to quiet me. I feel the heat of his touch to the depth of my gut. I whisper "I'm sorry", my lips brush his fingers when I do and my voice breaks. I can feel the cloudiness in my eyes so I quickly turn away and start to walk away but he grabs my wrist gently but firmly and stops me. I feel him coming closer till my back touches his chest. His lips touch my ears as he says softly and slowly, "You don't have to be sorry, Moon. Thank you."
Moon. My body stills and goosebumps rise all over. I may probably faint right now but he leaves my hand and takes a step back. The cold air of his cabin replaces his warmth. I don't look at him, I just nod and leave.

'He was being good to you because Olive asked him to. That's it. He doesn't like you. He doesn't trust you.'- The voices echo in my mind. I run to the washroom, lock it and cry. I cry till my tears dry up and my eyes are red. After splashing some water on my face , I apply some lipstick and walk out.I find AA waiting for me, leaning on my desk. I have to add 'disinfect desk' to my to-do list. I force myself to smile and walk towards my desk.
"Hi Hayley. You look beautiful today." He says, his gaze fixed on my breasts.

I clench my jaw. "Thank you sir."

"Did something happen? " He says placing a hand on my cheek, I want to cut his hands off. I move my face so that his hands no longer touch me. He takes the hint and draws his hand back into his pocket.

"No sir. I'm good. Do you need something?"
"Well I do need something but not now. Some other time maybe." He smiles evilly. I want to break all his teeth.
He sniffs , like a fucking dog. God please send Nick. Please please. Nick or Olive, just please send someone here. He sniffs again, coming closer this time and says

"You smell good Campbell. What perfu-"

"Hayley."
Thank God. I let out a silent sigh of relief when I hear Nick's voice. He might not trust me but I trust him to protect me from this bastard.

"Yes?"

"My cabin. Right now." He orders, ice in his voice.
AA looks at him angrily as I walk towards his cabin. As soon as I step into his cabin, he locks the door. He looks at me,quickly looks away and clears his throat.
"The uh cupcakes were good."
"Thank you." I say in a low voice.
He gives me a nod.

"Thank you. So much." I say again and he looks at me confused.
I say, "Thank you for getting me away from Mr. Kennedy."
He blinks, once, then again and says, "You don't have to thank me for that."
I give him little smile and nod.