36

Hayley

"Here. All the work is done. In fact, the sales analysis due next week is also done." I say excitedly

Nick nods. He just nods. My smile fades.
"Seriously? No good work, no keep up the hardwork. Nothing at all? "

"It's your job, Hayley. Come on. " he says dryly.

"Why are you so grumpy now? You were fine in the morning. "

"I'm tired. "

"Okay. Um sorry. " I walk out of his cabin.
Something is off about him now but I don't ask him because I know he won't tell me. So, I don't disturb him. I let him have his space because who am I even to ask?
After all, he is my boss. Just that. Maybe a friend too, after the AA incident but it's just that. We can never be anything more. Firstly, because he's my boss. Secondly, he can never like a girl like me. No one ever does. But I've accepted that. Maybe the hard way but I know it. I know that I'll never find a love like in the books. None of it is real.

"Hey." Phil's voice brings me back from the thoughts of my destiny.

"Hey Phil." I smile sadly.
He takes a step closer. "Hey. What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Just tired."

"Oh you want me to get you a coffee or something?"

"Thanks Phil, that's really sweet of you but I think I'm gonna go home now. I need to get some sleep. "

The disappointment is clearly visible on his face. "Oh no problem. Should I drop y-"

"She has a car and she knows how to drive, Philip. She'll be fine. Leave her alone." Nicholas's icy voice comes from behind me.
He walks towards me and stands right behind me and says, "Right, Hayley?"

"Sorry Phil. I have my car so I should probably go by myself." I touch his shoulder.

"It's okay, Hayley." He looks at Nicholas and says, "I should leave now. See you." He forces a smile.

"See you." I smile back.

I'm too exhausted to argue with Nicholas and ask him what the hell this was so I just sigh and get in the elevator. He gets in too.

"You look tired. I'll drop you home." He says.
The audacity.

I scrunch my brows. "No. If I wanted someone to drop me I would've asked Phil. And, I have a car and know how to drive. So, I'll go by myself."

He clenches his jaw and nods. We get out the elevator and walk towards our cars. We don't say a word or even look at each other and just drive away.