20

Nick

I immediately halt when she shouts asking me to stop. Before I can turn around, two soft arms wrap around me. She is hugging me. I can hear my heart beat in my ears as I turn towards her and hug her back. I feel my shirt getting wet as she sobs into my chest.I gently stroke her hair. She takes a deep breath and slowly breaks the hug.
"I'm sorry. About your shirt." She wipes her tears.

"I don't care about my shirt, Moon."
The hazel of her eyes meet the brown of mine.

"Do you trust me?" She asks in a shaky voice.

"I've always trusted you. But after what you did for me, I trust you with my life." It's true.

"Really?" She looks away.

"Really. As real as the moon." I give her a little smile.

"Then why were you fighting with Ol when she told me your story?" She doesn't look at me.

I move towards her and take her face in my hands. I look at her and say, " I didn't have a fight with Ol because I didn't trust you. I had it because I didn't want you to know that I was vulnerable. I wanted you to think I was strong. Like you."

She looks at me. " I do think you are strong. You don't know it but you are. You were also smiling at the party right? With the children. Spreading joy even when you were hurting inside. It wasn't just me who was masking emotions."
She saw something in me that even I couldn't see. I don't know what to say.
She slowly says, "I forgive you."

"No you don't. You can't." I shake my head.

She holds my right hand which is still on her cheek. "You don't have to be scared anymore, Nick. I want you to know I'll never betray you and we will win. Together. Nick, I get it. I understand you. So, yes I can and I am accepting your apology."

I can't believe my ears. "Really?"

She gives me a small smile. " As real as the moon."
" Do you trust me?" I ask.Her smile fades. She doesn't answer me.

I smile at her. " It's okay. I'll earn it. However long it takes."

She nods slowly. We stand in silence for a few moments until she breaks it. "You sent me all types of flowers but not sunflowers. Why?"

"I know you're allergic to them." I say softly

Her eyes widen. "Wha- are you stalking me?"

I smile. "I told you I had help."

She raises her brows. "From whom exactly?"

The corner of my mouth lifts and I ask,"Cupcakes?"