15

Hayley

I spend the weekend talking to Lucy, giving her every detail of the incidents at the office. Turns out I'm not the only one who can't decide whether to hate or like Nicholas. Can't say the same for Mr.asshole. Other than that I cried. Then, I cried again, read some books -I can't help it, even if they mislead me, even if they raise my expectations, even if they lead me towards heartbreak, I can never stop reading them. Ever. Then I gave myself some therapy by blasting Taylor Swift music and danced all the hurt away. Naybe not all of it. Some of it. My Sunday evening passed by with me giving myself pep talks for monday and ice cream.

~

I go casual today, wearing a pull up sweater and a pair of denims. I also wear my favourite moon pendant necklace, it gives me confidence and peace just like the real moon. When I enter the office, there's excitement and chattering all around. A friend of mine, Ritvik excitedly runs towards me and screams, "We're finally having an office party newbie! Are you excited?"

"What? Wowiee! So excited" I smile at him and everyone, get into the elevator and walk towards my desk. It is piled up with new files I have to check and edit. As I sit on my chair, Nicholas is coming out of his cabin walking towards..... ME. Oh shit. I fidget through the files nervously causing all the files to fall down. Way to go, Hayley, way to go. I slowly sit one one knee and started gathering the files at the pace of a tortoise and wait for him to leave. I fetch a file that is below my chair and of course thanks to my clumsy ass, I bump my head on my way back up. I flinch like a mouse who has seen a cat when I see him standing right in front of my desk, hands in his pockets.
"Morning, Ms. Campbell. Clumsy morning?"

"Good morning. Um yeah a little clumsy" I say rubbing my head. My hand freezes and electricity runs through my veins when he bends down, takes my face in his hands and starts to rub his thumb on the side of my forehead.

"There's a little bump on your head." He says with a hint of concern in his voice.

"Oh it's nothing at all. I'll be fine." I shrug

"It's always nothing for you isn't it?"

I don't understand what he means. "Sorry?"

He looks at the little bump on my head."In my cabin.Now"

"Bu-." He holds his hand up and shakes his head. I sigh and follow him towards his cabin.

"Sit down." He gestures towards his chair walking towards his mini fridge. He takes out an ice pack and stands in front of me.

I stand up immediately. "Thanks but I don't need this Nick.....olas, I'm fine." He holds up his hand again and looks at the chair and then at me. I sigh and sit down again. He sits on his desk and holds the ice pack on my bump. We lock eyes for a moment, then I look away. I don't know which version of him is real- this soft, caring one or the one which doesn't trust me,which acts like I don't exist. Someone clears their throat, bringing me back. I turn around to find Olive standing their, arms crossed. He instantly draws his hand while I stand up. There's something going on between them for sure.

"We. I. It's not what you're thinking, Olive. I bumped my head on the chair so he helped me out that's it." I blurt.

"Yeah. I was just uh- just helping her out." Nick agress with me.

She just stares at us for a moment but then breaks into a laugh and says, "You know I should have recorded this conversation- The Nicholas Parker scared. Of me."She takes a breath and laughs again.

"Ok. Stop Ol." He says and looks towards
me ."Does it feel better?"

I nod and quickly stand up. "Yeah. I should umm- leave." I walk as fast as I can. A thought causes me to halt suddenly. Yes! I've got it. I wait for Olive to come out and as soon as she does I grab her arm and take her towards the washroom.

"Whoa Hay. What is it?" She asks confused.

"I got it." I say excitedly.

"Got what?" She raises her brows.

"I figured out how to expose AA and prove that Mr.Parker is innocent."

"What? How?" Her eyes widen.
"Ok. Hear me out. What if I go into his office and try to seduce him or something and get him to confess to me what he did and record it? Like I can turn on the recorder app on my phone and get his confession. What do you think?"

" No. No, Hayley. I appreciate it but it's very risky. What if he finds out?"

"He won't. Trust me"

"What if he does something to you?" She asks concerned.

"You'll be right outside the door." I take her hand and squeeze it reassuringly.

" We should at least tell Nick."

"NO!" I shout with my coarse voice. "Ol, we can't tell Nicholas. It's very risky for him and his father. He can't be involved and you know it."

"Fine. But promise me you'll be okay?"

"I promise. We're doing it tomorrow."
She nods.