42

Hayley

My allergy gets worse in the next two days. I haven't heard a word from Nick or Olive. Between visiting the doctors and taking care of myself, I called up Phil. I requested him to meet me and just hear me out. He agreed. I don't know what to say,  but there's no going back now that he's sitting right in front of me.

"I'm sorry, Phil. I'm really sorry for what happened that day. I went there to confront him about being rude to you and then...... then" I swallow. "I didn't mean to hurt you, Phil."

He sighs." Everyone told me there was some kind of tension between the two of you but I think I just didn't want to see it."

"I don't know how I can explain it, Phil. But I do know that I wanted that date as much you did, I swear. And I know, that I wouldn't even dream of hurting you when you have been nothing but sweet and kind to me."

He gives a little smile. "I believe you, Hayley."

"I'm so so sorry, Phil."

"It's okay. And um sorry for the sunflowers."

"Don't be. It was really nice of you. " I give him a small smile and continue, "Do you forgive me?"
He nods.

"So we're good? Friends?"

He smiles. "Yes."

I light up. "Thank you so much, Phil. This really means a lot."

"It's okay, Hayley. And take care."
I nod.
At least I did one thing right.

~

I'm on my bed staring at the ceiling because I can't sleep. I squeeze my eyes shut.

“Find a voice that will quiet the others.”

“Love you? I would choke on my own spi-”

“I fall in love with you everytime you smile. I fall in love with you everytime you look into my ey-”

“No one will ever love that hopeless roma-”

“I would have my heart broken by you a million times than not having you in it even for a second.”

My eyes open wide. I found it! I found the voice. Nick. This is it. I jump out of my bed and run towards my closet. I don't even have the energy to eat but I need to do this. I take out a pair of joggers and my NYU sweatshirt and struggle to put them on. I leave in such a hurry that I forget to take my phone along. I drive to the office and rush into the elevator ignoring everyone  on the way. This is it. He is it. I run out of the elevator towards the cabin but it's locked.

"Hayley?" Sam's voice comes from behind.

"Where is Nick?" I don't bother to turn around.

"Nick and Olive are in London. For the Ward's deal signing."

Now, I turn around. "Oh. Right. Um thanks, Sam. When are they coming back?"

"Tomorrow. You look really sick. Do you wan-"

"I'm sorry, Sam. I think I should head home. Really need some rest."
She smiles and nods. I rush home, calling Nick continuously on the way. He doesn't answer. It's okay. I deserve it. It's my turn to win his forgiveness.

When I reach home, I fall on the couch. I'm so tired, I can't even walk to my room. It feels like I'm in a oven . The sound of my phone ringing wakes me up. I open my eyes and bright sunshine reaches my eyes. I've been sleeping since 6:30 in the evening? Ugh.
I gather up the energy to walk to my room and take my phone. It's Olive. Finally!