Chapter 4 - Idina vs Bakugo

Mr Aizawa stood still, eyes stern and focused as he anticipated the match

Mr Aizawa stood still, eyes stern and focused as he anticipated the match. It was a big difference to his usual tired, uninterested persona. I knew all this was to test me. He put me against Bakugo to see how I would handle a dangerous opponent. I was not going to let him down.

My gaze turned back on the danger before me.

"It's not too late to back out, new girl." He teased. My eyes narrowed furthermore, but I couldn't help the slight upward curl of my lip.

The truth was, I too loved to fight.

But I loved to win even more.

"Start!" Aizawa called.

And in a crackling bang Bakugo had launched himself at me with dazzling speeds. Though he was a good 50 meters away to start, he had managed to propel himself halfway across the field in mere seconds. I closed my eyes and took a deep, relaxing breath. As I exhaled I opened my eyes. The grey had swallowed my eyes, it's color completely taking over. I felt the air within me and all around... even the air Bakugo breathed... I could feel it all. In an instant I threw my hands out, forcing the air beneath Bakugo to rise up. And it did. A swirl of air like that of a tornado shot out and swallowed him whole.

I had him. Now all I had to do was contain him while I grab for his flag.

With my sights fixed on his flag I used the air beneath me to fly me straight to his flag. Faster. I urged myself.

BANG!

I turn my head to see Bakugo had escaped my tornado prison, shooting his way out with his quirk. And he was headed straight for me.

DAMMIT.

Turning myself around mid flight I shot a wave of heavy air at Bakugo but his reflexes were too smooth. He managed to dodge my attack.

Not bad.

But I wasn't the only one on the attack. Bakugo shot an explosion right for me, but just like him, my reflexes were too quick as I slipped the attack and threw my very own shot of heavy wind right back at him. This time it came from above, dropping on him like a falling building, forcing him down. It was too heavy for him to fight against, and doing so would only exert himself. The weight was so heavy it would force him to remain on the ground, keeping him at bay.

"Now stay down." I warned.

Turning my attention back to the flag I used my flight to take me across the remaining end of field. There it was, only meters away. I reached out, hands ready to take it for myself when a loud explosion followed by a burning force hit me in the back forcing me to lose balance. I fell, but just before making contact with the ground I used the air beneath me to push me back up. I landed gracefully, with control.

My eyes turned to where the attack had come from to see Bakugo still trapped under the weight of my heavy wind force pushing him down. But he had managed to get a single hand free and was aiming it right at me.

He just doesn't know when to quit.

His eyes were slits and his lips had turned up into a deadly snarl.

"I won't let you beat me!" He yelled.

Suddenly another explosion came barreling my way. And another. And another. I was airborne now, slipping and dodging his attacks, none of them able to reach me but some had gotten close. Too close for my liking. Bakugo really was a formidable opponent.

"Just give it up already!" I yelled back at him.

"You first!" He growled.

I don't have time for this! Losing my patience I made my way to the flag, still dodging his constant explosions.

Almost got it... My hand reached out once more and finally managed to curl my long fingers around the base of the flag pole.

GOT IT!

Now I just had to bring it back to my base.

"Oh no you don't!" Bakugo yelled. His voice... it came... from behind me...?

But how? How did he escape? Had he managed to really store enough sweat to blow himself out?

I had to give it to him... he really was strong... I expected him to do well but he had well and truly exceeded my expectations.

"Give me back my flag!" He yelled before another explosion came hurdling it's way towards me.

I was done fooling around. I was not going to lose this match.

Before the shot could hit me, I pulled at all the air surrounding me, manipulating it into a thick, spinning tornado surrounding the outside of my entire body. The wind blew faster and faster. I couldn't see past it but I didn't need to. Bakugo's explosion hit straight into my protective tornado, its impact doing little to get past my wind shield.
The sound of loud banging confirmed that he was blasting attacks at my tornado, trying to get through to me. But it was useless.
In one large push, I expelled my protective tornado outward in a wind explosion!

Bakugo couldn't withstand the blast, as his body flew to the whole other side of the PE arena. Now was my chance.
Using flight at peak speeds I made my way to the other end of the field to my base where in one smooth, effortless move I sunk Bakugos flag next to my own in the soft grass.

And like that, I had won.

"We have a winner!" The familiar sound of Uncle Mic pulled my attention away from the flags.
Oops! I meant Present Mic... he's only uncle Mic when we're at home...

"Look at that! What a match! The new student defeats the fearless Katsuki Bakugo!"
His voice rang loudly like a leading commentator. I couldn't help but smile. What was he doing here? Hearing Uncle Mic cheer for my victory was the push I needed.

I won. I defeated arguably the strongest student in class 1A. All on my own.

Bakugo was still trying to lift himself up. Using flight I brought myself before him, arm extended. As he looked up at me his eyes turned to slits. He slapped my hand, moving it away from him in disgust.

"I don't need your help new girl!" He growled through grit teeth.

Oh no. He's mad at me.

I stumbled back, hurt. Not because of the slap, but because I had really wanted to make friends not enemies today.

"I just wanted to help you up." I murmured, my voice cracking.

"Don't. I don't need your help. I don't need anyone's help!" With that he got up and made his way past me.

My eyes met with Dad's. He was watching me carefully.

"Come now. I'll grade your performances." He ordered before turning to Present Mic.

With a sigh I flew back to where the rest of the class had gathered to await the score.