Chapter 44 - What Has 8 Legs and 8 Eyes

The day of the fair had approached faster than I could have hoped. Training, my internship, school AND tutor lessons were a lot. But even so, I was pleasantly surprised with how well I was balancing things.

"What's with all the security?" Bakugo muttered under scrutinous eyes as we stacked away plastic chairs.
We were in the auditorium helping to get the room ready for performances that were due to start in the next hour.

I had a very, very brief idea of why security was so tight lately. I knew that a villain had escaped Tartarus and that they had some interest in UA, but dad wouldn't give much more than that. Not to mention, I was forbidden to repeat the little detail I did know.

"I'm sure the teachers know." I replied casually, avoiding a direct answer.

Bakugo stopped stacking the chairs to watch me. He had this crazy way of reading me and so I refused to look him in the eye out of fear he might try and force me to spill.

He narrowed his eyes, continuing to watch me suspiciously.

"Your dad is a teacher." He replied, a stern look to his face.

"Yeah. He is." I continued to stack away as if I was so focused on chairs that I was barely listening to him.

"What are you hiding." It wasn't a question.

"Bakugo." I sighed. "We've got to get all this done before the performances start in the next hour. Can we focus?" I tried to sound exasperated, and in a way I was. I just didn't want to lie to him, nor did I want to break my father's trust and unload information I'm not supposed to.

Bakugo however resumed his task, but not without a dramatic huff.

When all the chairs were stacked and put away we turned our attention to sorting out a drinks area.

"I heard you played the drums at your first fair?"

Bakugo glared at me. "Who the hell told you that." He growled as he poured orange juice into paper cups.

"Dad did. He said you were really good. You didn't tell me you could play an instrument."

"I guess you're not the only one with secrets then." He mumbled.

Yep. He was in another one of those moods.

"Bakugo. There are some things not even I know. Truly. But I'm also not allowed to talk about anything anyway. Please don't be upset with me." I peered back at his grumpy red eyes, my own pleading.

"Fine." He grumbled as he continued to pour juice.
"Don't you think it's strange though? Security really is tight. There's security everywhere. There's even multiple heroes guarding the outside of the toilets... the toilets. Something weird is going on and I hate not knowing what."

I shrugged. It was strange, I had to admit. But dad was certain it was just a precaution.

"I think we're reading into it too much." I replied with a sigh. "But you're right. It is a lot."

"You haven't been at UA as long as I have. I've seen security tight. But it's never been like this. If you genuinely believe this is nothing then you're more naive than I thought you were." He grumbled in that gruff voice of his.

I stopped.

Bakugo was right... but... but I trusted my dad. He asked me not to read into it and let it go. So that is exactly what I was going to do.

"Maybe..." Was all I said aloud as I continued drink pouring.

"How are things looking here?" Dad appeared out of nowhere as he took in the auditorium space.