Chapter 9 - No Longer Friends

Dad was working late and so I thankfully didn't have to run into him when I got home

Dad was working late and so I thankfully didn't have to run into him when I got home. He'd left a note saying food was in the fridge and to heat it up. But I wasn't hungry. I'd lost my appetite. Instead I went straight to bed.

My feelings had eased somewhat. I was back in control and no longer felt the desire to unleash a hurricane of wind out into the world so that's a step into the right direction.

I did however feel absolutely shattered. Shattered in a tired sense but also shattered in the way that only being broken hearted could understand. Shoto and I weren't romantic, we were just friends. But I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about him differently lately... he'd asked me on what I thought was a date to the carnival and we'd even started flirting by text... but... Now I can't stop imagining the way his eyes held mine... like I was a monster.

My phone buzzed and I bit my tongue trying to refrain myself from checking it. But my control was preoccupied with keeping my extreme emotions at bay and I caved in, checking the phone screen.

Shoto's name stared back at me.

What does he want to say? Is he going to apologise? No of course not... maybe he wants to tell me I'm a monster and he's going to tell the entire school about my deranged, masochistic biological father. Oh god what if he does tell everyone?

I swallowed hard.

Slowly, oh so slowly I opened the message.

From: Shoto Todoroki

Idina. Im sorry. I promised 2 b there 4 u. This news was a shock 2 me. And im not proud of my behaviour. But my father was ryt. I cannot involve myself wth u. Plz understand. 4give me.
Shoto.

I stared back at the message and must have reread it over forty times. My heart sunk right down to my stomach. He really wanted nothing to do with me anymore. I was on my own. Again. He abandoned me because of my parentage. I didn't expect it to hurt as much as it did...
I couldn't help replaying the events of the evening over and over... I think I'd have rather he told me I was a freak... instead he told me I wasn't good enough to be a part of his life. I wanted more than anything for this to have been nothing but a bad dream... to wake up any minute... but this was real and Shoto wants nothing to do with me.

I couldn't reply... I just couldn't find the words to say so chose to say nothing at all and focused on drifting to sleep.

The morning came and I awoke feeling robotic, like I was numb. I immediately got myself up and showered and threw on my spare school uniform. I had gotten my other one absolutely drenched yesterday and it needed a clean.

"Breakfast is ready." Dad said.

"Thanks." I muttered.

"You okay?" Dad asked, eyeing my stoic expression curiously.

"Fine." I replied. I wasn't in the mood to talk. Especially not to dad, not right now. He didn't want me to meet Endeavour, which means he knew what his reaction would be and chose not to tell me. So as far as dad was concerned, I was angry at him too.

"Alright... I'll take your word for it."

But I didn't say anything. I just sat and ate in silence. When I finished I put my dish away and headed out the door. No goodbye kiss, no 'have a good day Mr Aizawa,' just the sound of the door closing behind me.

Yup. I was mad.

As I approached the school gate I saw Shoto standing against one of the buildings, talking to someone on the phone. My heart skipped a beat. He looked ruggedly handsome as always. His hair was more dishevelled than usual and the dark circles under his eyes showed me he had little sleep last night. His eyes landed on me and in a split second his face seemed to light up. But then something came over him and he instantly looked away, pretending he hadn't seen me at all.

What. A. Dick.

I was mad that's for sure, but a part of me felt hurt that he would pretend I wasn't there...

Taking a breath, I stormed deeper into the school grounds. It was in that moment I felt a nudge to my side.

"Watch it nerd!"

Bakugo.

Of course it was Bakugo.

I wasn't in the mood to be pushed around today. I was focused, more so than usual on becoming the greatest hero. And no one, not even Bakugo was going to get in the way of that.

And then it hit me.

"Bakugo!" I called. But he didn't look back. He just ignored me and continued walking ahead.

"Bakugo, wait!" I called. Still no reaction. I gritted my teeth. Why was he such an ass?!

"You still wanna beat me?" I yelled. He stopped. That seemed to grab his attention.

Slowly, he turned around. His eyes were narrowed into slits as he glared back at me.

"What the hell are you talking about nerd?" He spat.

I ran up to him, closing the distance until we stood face to face. I've usually tried to avoid looking at the irritable Bakugo, but looking at him now up close, I couldn't help but notice that we were both the same height with our eyes at the same level. Speaking of which, his eyes were a bright red, matching his energy perfectly...

"Do you still wanna beat me?" I repeated myself. He looked back at me suspiciously before scoffing.

"You're not worth my time." He turned to walk away. 

"Do you still want to be the best then?" I asked. He stopped. Slowly, tentatively he turned back around.

"What the hell do you want, new girl?" His voice was sharp, like a cutting blade. He wasn't one for small talk that's for sure.

"What if I told you I knew of an old, abandoned training facility off school grounds that next to no one knows about?" His eyes bore into mine, trying to understand if I was serious or not.

"What the hell are you going on about?" His words were clipped but I could tell by his tone that he was curious.

"If I told you I could get us in, and no one would know... would you train with me?"

He laughed. A loud, booming laugh. But I wasn't laughing. I wasn't joking or trying to be funny either. I was serious. Dead serious. He must have seen from my expression that this wasn't a joke. Slowly his smile receded, his face returning to the same glaring expression it always was.

"You're serious huh?" He asked through narrowed eyes.

"I want to be the best. I've got to be. I'll do whatever I have to. Sorry, I thought you did too." Clearly he's not up for it. I thought to myself.

I turned to make my way past him when he grabbed me by the arm. I looked back at him, my grey eyes meeting with his red blaze head on.

"I'm not gonna let you get ahead of me, nerd." He growled.

"Good." I replied. "Meet me after school near the river bank. And don't tell anyone." I yanked my arm from his grip and marched inside the building towards home room. I smiled internally, pleased. I think I just found my partner...