Chapter 49 - And so it Begins

Note: very short chapter!

Bakugo POV

I sat on Idina's bed next to that ridiculous giant fluffy elephant, with my head in my hands. I had been waiting for her to get back for hours. It was dark outside now and the clock read 8.30pm.
Everyone was asking me about what happened. They had all found out that Idina's biological father was the villain known as Hero Killer Stain.
Many of them had witnessed her lose it and kill those villains. Monoma made a comment that she was a killer like her father, so I shot him with my quirk in the gut to shut him up. No one had the balls to talk bad about her after that. At least not in front of me.

I had expected today to be a good day. Sure I was going to have to work on the fair but I was excited to spend time with Idina. She'd been training so hard lately and we were both so busy we only really had time together at night. And when we did, we spent that time asleep...
How did this happen? How did the day change so drastically?

I clutched at my hair, the desire to pull at it was overwhelming. Worried for her was an understatement. My mentor, my teacher... my future father in law was killed... Aizawa... was dead. I should have reacted faster. I should have patted the villains down. I should have found that stupid weapon!

And now Idina... she's lost her dad... and she could lose everything else. But I wouldn't let her lose me.
The moment it happened I saw the terror in her eyes, the surprise. I don't even think she had realised she'd done it.

But I didn't blame her for killing them. The others were horrified but I could never see her as anything less than perfect. Shoto seemed understanding for once too.
She was almost certainly going to be kicked out of UA and have to forfeit her hero licence. All of this because I couldn't do as I promised I would and keep her father safe.

I wanted to explode.
I felt like a failure.
Worse than a failure.

"What have I done..." I hissed as my fingers pulled on my hair absentmindedly.

A knock on the door had my head rearing up. Who would be knocking on Idina's bedroom door? I said nothing, not really allowed to be in here myself.

"Katsuki Bakugo? This is the police. If you're in there can you open up? We need you to come back down to the station."

The police? Again? I grit my teeth.

"I already gave you my statement!" I snarled. I just wanted to be left alone.

"It's not about that... we need your help..."

With a groan I stood up.

—————-

Detective Tsukauchi stood opposite me with his arms crossed against his chest.