Chapter 16 - A New Start

After training with Bakugo finished I felt refreshed and light

After training with Bakugo finished I felt refreshed and light. It was as if all my tension had evaporated. Who knew talking could truly be so therapeutic?
The walk home was peaceful as I lost myself in my own thoughts.
I couldn't believe I had told Bakugo about my past. But what surprised me more was how he hadn't reacted like I was a monster the way that Todoroki did. He listened... quiet and unjudging. I couldn't rid the smile that had crept upon my lips. The irritable red eyed Bakugo was growing on me.

As I opened the front door I was instantly greeted with the smell of hot dinner. My stomach grumbled.
I hadn't realised how hungry I was.

"Smells good!" I called as I entered the kitchen.

Dad's hair was pulled back into a scruffy ponytail as he stirred the pan full of sizzling meat.

"I picked up some new sauces today so I hope it's not too spicy." He murmured not looking up.

"I can handle spice." I said with a smile as I readied two plates for he and I.

"How did studying go?" He asked as he began dishing up the meal.

"Yeah, it went good." I felt awful for lying.

"You're studying with Bakugo now? That's surprising." He watched me under narrowed eyes.

"For a teacher you're pretty observant dad." I noted with a smirk.

"Yeah well it's not everyday you see that kid interacting with someone other than Kirishima."

I nodded at his words. He had a point.

"So you two are friends now? No offence but I thought he had it out for you." He asked, curiously looking down at me.

I shook my head. He wasn't wrong, Bakugo had spent the last few weeks digging at me any chance he could get.

"Nah I wouldn't say we're friends. We just kind of respect each other. He's not as painful as I thought he'd be that's all. Plus I'm pretty sure he's only tolerating me." I finished with a giggle.

Dad nodded knowingly.

"Yeah there's layers to the kid. But his hearts in the right place, that's all that matters."

I let out an "mmm", taking in his comments. He was right. He was rough on the outside... really rough. But he worked harder than most people I knew. He was dedicated and motivated... and I respected his strength. He wasn't a kind person though... that was his flaw...

The rest of dinner was spent with dad quizzing me on the periodic table. After we'd cleaned up after ourselves we got ready for bed.

"Night dad." I sung as I gave him a light kiss on the cheek. He patted my back lovingly.

"Good night Idina. I'm proud of you."

I spun around to look at him, surprised at the softness. But he retreated mysteriously into his room, closing the door behind him.
I knew he wanted to be alone so didn't press it. My heart felt warm and full from the comment.