Chapter 7 - Things Seem To Be Going Well

A few weeks had passed and Shoto and I spent almost every moment together. We were inseparable. We sat next to each other in class, ate together at lunch and studied together in the library after school before walking home.
The other kids would make jokes and give each other strange looks when we'd walk in together but I took Shoto's advice and chose to ignore it. I was just grateful I'd made such a real connection with someone.

"So how's school kiddo?" Uncle Mic was over for dinner.

"It's great! I'm loving it!" I replied happily.

"I see you and Todoroki spending lots of time together." He teased.

"Yeah," I laughed. "We're really close friends now. I didn't think I'd make a friend so easily."

"You kidding me? You're the coolest kid out. Of course you made a friend easily!" Uncle Mic was always my hype man. I loved that about him.

"He wants me to meet his dad tomorrow." I said through a mouthful of food.

Dad and Uncle Mic looked up, their eyes wide.

"You didn't tell me that." Dad's voice was clipped. I glanced up, shocked. Was something wrong?

"Oh. I'm sorry I guess it slipped my mind." I reasoned.

Dad and Uncle Mic exchanged glances.

"What's wrong?" I asked cautiously.

"Idina. You're too stay away from his family. Do you understand?" Dads authoritative voice boomed across the kitchen.

"Huh? But why?" I was so confused. Why could I not meet my friends father? Not just any father too... Endeavour. The number one pro hero!

"Because I said so." Dad was dismissive. I wanted to argue but I knew the look in his eye. He was not in the mood to hear anything back.

My face must have looked shocked and disappointed because Uncle Mic nudged dad.

"Listen kiddo. Your dad loves you. He just wants the best for you. Trust that he knows best okay?" Uncle Mic tried to reason.

"But I'm just meeting his dad. It's not like he is part of a bad family or something. His dads a major hero. THE Endeavour. I don't understand why I can't meet him." I moaned.

"It's not your job to understand it's mine. Yours is to obey. Stay away from his family Idina and do not question me again." Dad was firm and sounded furious.

Why was he so against it? How did I earn this treatment? Why was he speaking to me like I had done something wrong?

I felt like no matter what I did lately I was always letting him down. I wish I could be the daughter he wished for...

"Yes dad. Sorry dad." I murmured quietly.

Dad and Uncle Mic looked down at their plates in silence. The air had turned uncomfortable and awkward.

"May I be excused? I'm tired. I'd like to go to bed." Uncle Mic shot dad a glare. But dad didn't care. At least he didn't seem like he did.

"You may." He replied.

And with that I got up and sulked to bed.

"She deserves to know." Uncle Mic whispered.

"When I believe she is ready I will tell her. Not before."

Ready for what? Tell me what? I wanted to eavesdrop more but I would feel the full wrath of Eraser Head if I got caught. With a sigh I continued down the hall to brush my teeth before bed.

Why would dad not want me to meet Endeavour? Don't they know each other? Is he a bad person? He can't be... he's the number one hero. So what was it dad was keeping from me?

After my teeth were brushed I slipped into bed. A buzz from my cell caught my attention and I smiled at the sight of Shoto's name on my phone.

From: Shoto Todoroki

Good nyt. C U in class 2morrow.

I knew I was grinning ear to ear but in the privacy of my own room I didn't care.

To: Shoto Todoroki

Nyt nyt. Don't let the bed bugs bite.

My phone buzzed again almost immediately. Shoto had replied.

From: Shoto Todoroki

I do not hav bed bugs. We regularly change the bedding.

I wanted to laugh out loud. Shoto really didn't understand some things. I thought I was bad but he was something else all together.

To: Shoto Todoroki

Haha it is just a saying. Nyt nyt

I continued to smile stupidly at my phone. I didn't expect to meet someone like Shoto, but I'm glad I did. He made me feel understood.

From: Shoto Todoroki

Ur hair looked nice 2day. C U 2mrrow.

I blushed. Did he say my hair looked nice? I felt something in my stomach. Butterflies? Hmmm... so that's what that feels like.

To: Shoto Todoroki

Ty. Urs did too. Cnt w8 2 c u.

Wait. Was I flirting? Maybe I shouldn't have sent that. Maybe he'll think I'm too much. Oh crap why did I send that text!

My phone buzzed. I groaned. Did he call me a stalker? A weirdo? Oh god... taking a deep breath I glanced at my screen.

From: Shoto Todoroki

Me 2.

I read it back. And then again. And then again and again. He can't wait to see me too?! I wanted to jump out of bed and run on the spot and dance around and make an absolute fool of myself but with dad and Uncle Mic downstairs I decided against it.
Instead I would just revel in the fact that Shoto Todoroki is not only my friend, but excited to see me tomorrow. I loved UA.

To: Shoto Todoroki

I'm glad I met u.

From: Shoto Todoroki

I'm glad I met u 2. Safe dreams

I think my feelings for this boy were more than simply platonic as the butterflies started doing somersaults in my belly.
I lay in bed with a large grin across my face until the warmth of sleep took over.