Chapter 12 - Time for a father daughter chat

"Kitchen. Now." Dad's voice ordered. I had tried to slip through the front door silently but apparently Aizawa had a secret hearing quirk that I was unaware of.

With a sigh I hung my bag up and shook off my shoes before obediently entering the kitchen. Dad looked serious as he sat on the opposite side of the kitchen island, arms crossed and a stern, no nonsense expression plastered on his face.

"Sit." He ordered.

Suddenly, seeing him so serious I had lost all my nerve to standup to him and so sunk into the chair in surrender.

"Tell me what's going on with you." His stern expression peered back at me but his usual unfazed eyes looked... concerned?

"Idina." He continued. "What happened with you and Shoto Todoroki." This time as he spoke, his voice softened. He was being gentle... like a dad.

My chest tightened as the flashbacks of yesterdays interaction came flashing before me. I took a gulp before mustering the energy to talk.

"His dads horrible." I mumbled. His face turned to stone as the words left my mouth.

"What did I tell you about meeting his family?" He asked, his voice raising.

"I didn't mean to. I ran into them near the vending machines..."

I could see the vein in his forehead beating. Oh no. He was mad. Reallyyyy mad. His eyes searched my face, reading my expression.

"I mean it dad. It was an accident."

He sighed. A long, exhausted sigh.

"I believe you Idina." His vein however was still pulsing.

"So tell me. What happened." His fists were clenching. It was as if he was doing his best to control himself.

"Shoto and Endeavour ran into me at the vending machines... Shoto introduced me and then Endeavour said some things and I ran home..." I spoke fast trying to get it over and done with.

"What things did he say?" His fists were still clenched.

"Well... he told Shoto who my biological father was and said something about the apple not falling far from the tree... and that he didn't want his son near someone like me..." My voice was quiet.

Dad slammed his fist onto the bench, the sound rattling in my ears.

"He has no right to talk to you like that!" He growled angrily. "And I told you to stay far away from his family!"

"What was I meant to do? Turn and walk away - that would have been unnatural!" I couldn't believe that I was getting slack for something that was completely outside of my control.

He must have sensed that I was getting upset as he took a deep breath and began massaging his temples.

"I know it's not your fault. I'm sorry for raising my voice at you."

I blinked. Did he really just apologise to me?

"Why didn't you tell me Endeavour knew me?" My voice a whisper.

"Because I didn't want you to get upset."

"I wouldn't have been upset if you had just told me, I'm more upset I was humiliated!"

"I know Idina..."

"How does he know who I am?" I asked sternly.

"Because he was one of the heroes with me when I found you."

My jaw dropped to the ground.

"Listen, when I found you after we raided the Yakuza house Endeavour thought you should go into a program..."

"What kind of program?" I asked.

"A program that would make you... more of a soldier. He thought with your background you would need harsher regimen... he was worried your parent's blood ran too thick... and that without it, you'd turn into a villain."

"Why was he so worried that I'd turn out so bad? Kids get taken from villains all the time and aren't thrown into these sorts of programs?" I asked.

"Your father's crimes were severe, and he'd killed people Endeavour knew well... that and you're an air type,"

"What has being an air type got to do with anything?" I asked confused.

"Air types can be calm like a summer breeze, but they can also be unpredictable, wild and fiercely aggressive, like a hurricane. Air and fire types are both rare and very emotion driven. It was a genuine fear that if you were to lose control of your emotion, you'd lash out."

I nodded slowly, listening to my fathers explanation. I think I understood. I was tempted to let my anger consume me yesterday but luckily I managed to retain some control.

"But HE is a fire type. Shouldn't he understand better than anyone?" I asked.

"He does. That's why he was so adamant about it. He was against me taking you in but after the commission saw your progress and signed you off he seemed to have let it go. But that doesn't mean he'd want you around Shoto."

So he has it out for me. Great.

"I don't need Shoto or his stupid, angry family." I muttered. "Dealing with you is plenty." I joked, my lips turning into a cheeky smile. Listening to dad and knowing just how much he fought to have me live with him instead of in some ridiculous soldier making program made all my anger subside. How could I stay mad at someone who has protected me from the start?

"I'm really sorry I didn't say goodbye to you this morning. And that I was rude..." I muttered in shame.

"It's alright kiddo." He said smiling gently at me. "But next time, I'll send you to the soldier program." We grinned back at each other. He and I were a strange family. But we were family none the less. And I appreciated him more than I could ever put in words.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that yesterday. Endeavour had no right to talk to you like that." Dads expression turned back to his serious scowl.

I shrugged. Knowing why he had treated me the way he did took away some of the anger. Not all, but some.

"I guess he thought he was just protecting Shoto." I murmured.

"I can make Shoto run laps around the field for the first 3 periods tomorrow?"

I laughed. Not many people saw this side of dad. I wish they did but I'm also proud that it was something reserved just for me.

"Naw that's okay. I'm over it." I lied. I wasn't over it. I wasn't over Shoto. But I did feel lighter. The burning determination had already been lit inside me however, and I was determined to be the strongest hero at U.A and then, the world. It was my ultimate goal.

I was going to show Shoto that he made a big mistake throwing me away.