Excuse Me?

Auroras POV

I just visited my mums grave before I begin to walk back down one of the back alley ways that lead to Watery Lane. A groan leaves my mouth as I get pushed harshly into the brick wall behind me. I glare up at the inspector who held his hand over my mouth, pushing his hand into my waist to close and tight for my liking. "Miss Steele." He sneers.

My glare deepens as his hand grows tighter causing pain on my waist and I lean my head back before throwing it forward, smashing my forehead into his. He groans in pain as I move away from him but he grabs my wrist. "You know Aurora, you should be more lady like considering you don't want to turn out like your father." He warns making me glare at him.

"Excuse me? My father is a respectable man, everyone loves him and he protects the people he loves. Which is more than I can say for you, you miserable bastard." I spat as his hand comes to my hair and he grips it tightly, pulling my head back harshly. "A woman for a gangster. Thomas wouldn't even miss you if you were gone."

I twist my body and lift my leg, slamming my foot into Campbells knee. It twists making him scream in pain, letting go of me. "Why does everyone think it's so bad for a woman go be a gangster? It's really annoying. And I don't give a fuck if you're a police officer, you lay your hands on me again and you'll lose them. By my own hands." I threaten him.

He shakes his head with a cruel smile as he stands up, looking at me. "This isn't the last time we'll talk, Aurora." He promises darkly as I roll my eyes and walk away from him, ignoring his shouts that echo through the streets. The inspector had pushed me so hard into the wall, that I wince when I touch the side of my head, pulling my fingers away to see blood coating them.

I feel a hand touch my shoulder and I quickly turn on my heel, swinging my fist to whoever's standing behind me. "Fuck!" Tommy yells as I sigh, seeing him holding his jaw. "The fuck, Tommy?!" I ask, throwing my hands up. "You don't sneak up on a Peaky Blinder. You of all people should know that." I tell him sharply.

"Sorry-" he starts before he sees the blood on my fingers. "What happened, baby?" He asks, stepping closer to me, his eyes narrowed in concern. "Nothing, I'm fine." I tell him. "No, you're not fine. What the fuck happened?" He asks firmly, pulling me into an alley way. He pushes me back against the brick wall, standing close to me that I can feel his body heat.

"Tommy-" I start but he cuts me off. "What happened? I won't ask again, Ror." He growls. "The Inspector." I say lowly and his face turns deadly. "He put his hands on my girl. On my property." He growls before he looks up at me, his eyes blazing. "He won't touch you again. You hear me?" He says firmly and I nod.

******

I sit on my bed reading a book when my door slams open and John rushes in unexpectedly, falling to his knees. I quickly jump up from the bed, my book long forgotten as I shut my door and kneel down next to John. "What happened, John?" I ask him as he breaths heavily on my bedroom floor.

He sits up, wrapping his arms around my waist, and burying his head into my stomach. I place one of my hands on his back, softly rubbing it up and down and use my other hand to run my fingers through his hair. "John, I need you to tell me what happened, now." I say again, my tone firm. "Tom offered money to Lizzie to see if she'd take it and she was going to but he told her no. She made me look like a fool!" He yells his words, tightening his arms around me.

I fucking knew she was no good. I grab his face in my hands, raising it softly so his eyes meet mine. I see anger and embarrassment in his eyes. "I hate to say this, but I did tell you so. We all did, John. She don't deserve my nieces and nephews. Lizzie Stark is nothing but a selfish woman who only cares about when her next lay is." I say.

"John, you don't deserve this. In no way, do you deserve this but it's happened. So you listen to me and you listen to me good. You don't let this get to you. You show her that it hasn't affected you and she is the one who isn't worth it because, let's face it, she's not. We all knew, including you, that she won't ever stop being a whore. It's who she is. But you, John Shelby, are a Peaky fucking Blinder. And you don't let anything bring you down. Especially something as stupid as this. You hear me?" I say and he nods.

"I hear you, Rory. I should have listened to you. I always listen to you. Why didn't I this time?" He asks. "Because as usual, you Shelby men think you're always right and always know what's best. But you're not always right John and this is one of those times." I say gently. "Yeah, she was just an easy choice, you know? Someone to watch my kids, not someone I want I be with." He says and I nod.

"Every man thinks that. It's why she does what she does." I say shrugging as he nods his head in agreement. "I knew Tommy was never gonna let me marry her anyway. He doesn't want a whore in the family." He says. "Yeah, that's Thomas. Always sticking his nose in business where it doesn't belong." I say before I sigh.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask him and he nods. "Can we get of the floor now because I can't feel my legs anymore." I say and he chuckles. "Same here." He says making me laugh as he lifts me up and lays us down on my bed.