The Digbeth Kid.

Tommys POV

"Next!" I hear Finn call the next candidate. Me, Arthur, John and Aurora sit around the table in the snug, interviewing candidates for the Peaky Blinder corporation. Arthur sits reading the paper, not really paying attention while John smokes and Aurora sorts through the books.

I turn to face the boy that walks in, he's young, maybe a little older than Finn and has an innocence about him. John puffs out a burst of smoke as Arthur speaks up. "Alright then, name?" He asks. "The Digbeth Kid." The boy says making everyone look up. "What are you? A boxer?" Arthur questions. "The Digbeth Kid, like Billy the Kid." The boy responds.

"Spend a lot of time at the pictures? Cowboy pictures?" I question. He nods and reaches for his side, flipping back his jacket to reveal a gun holster. John and Arthur all pulled their guns and point then at the boy. Arthur reaches over and pulls Aurora closer and she rolls her eyes at him, pushing him away.

"No, wait, wait. It's fake, it's made of wood." The boy reassures us nervously. Arthur and John relax a bit as I stand up. "Let's take a look then." I say, taking the gun and point it at Arthur. "Bang." I say as Arthur pretends to shoot back. "Bang." I point it at John who drops his head back, blowing out smoke. I point it at Aurora and smirk. "Bang." She drops her head back, shaking her head as she chuckles.

"Very nice. Where did you get the gun belt?" I ask, handing the kid back his wooden gun. "My sister made it out of an old blacksmith apron. My mum did most of the stitching. She's not my real mum, but..." the boy says. "But she does what mums do." Aurora says. "Alright, then mamas boy. Nice to meet you, get the-" Arthur starts but I interrupt him.

"You ever been arrested?" I ask him. "Yes." The boy says and I raise my eyebrow at him. "Yeah?" I ask. "No." He admits. "Good. You're the first bloke we've had in here today, with no criminal record. Arthur, we can stand him up. Do you know what that means?" I ask him and he shakes his head as I stub out my cigarette.

"The new Home Secretary wants something done about illegal gambling." I say. "And right." John says, smacking the table. "About bloody time." Arthur agrees as Aurora nods. "Been going on to long." She says and we nod. "We help our coppers make their quota of convictions by having men stood up, to be arrested. First offence, you'll get a week inside. We'll give you five quid for your trouble. How does that sound, cowboy?" I ask and he smiles.

"Yeah." He agrees. "Good. Write your address down for Finn on your way out." I tell him, pulling Aurora onto my lap. "I can't write." The boy admits shyly. "Ah, that's alright. Finn can't read." Aurora tells him, writing some numbers down. "Don't worry." Arthur says. "Just give him your address, and we'll send someone round." I tell him.

"If..." John starts pointing at him. "The sheriff don't run you outta town first." He finishes, smirking at us. The boy nods as Arthur and Aurora chuckle. "Good man." I nod as he walks out. "I don't know, Tom. Kids these days..." Arthur says. "Mmm." I hum, trailing my hands up Aurora's thighs. "They didn't fight, so they're different. They stay kids." I tell him.

******

Auroras POV

When their interviews are over, we put our jackets on, walking out of the pub before we walk to Polly's. As we walk, John and Arthur pull out their guns, pretending to shoot as I shake my head at their boyish ways.

And they are meant to be the most feared Peaky Blinders.

"Rory, help me out here." Arthur calls me and I give him a deadpan look. "I'm not helping you play like children and are you forgetting I'm still injured." I say and he rolls his eyes. "That's never stopped you before, doll." He says and I narrow my eyes at him. "Well, it's stopping me now." I say as I push him.