Black Star.

Tommys POV

I sit in the snug in the Garrison by myself, writing in my diary when Grace walks in. "Just whiskey, Tommy?" She asks, placing four glasses and a bottle down on the table and I nod, drawing a black star on the page. "Are you okay?" She asks and I look up at her. "I'm fine." I tell her shortly. She nods and leaves before Arthur, Aurora and John walk in.

"Hi baby." I say to Aurora, pulling her onto my lap. "Hello you." She says kissing me. "We all set, Tom?" Arthur asks poring himself a glass of whiskey. "Yes. Black star day, two weeks from today. The day we take over from Billy Kimber." I tell them. "About time too." John says, raising his glass.

"Do we have all the weapons set?" Aurora asks and I look at her. "Yes, baby. Stored and waiting in Charlie's yard." I tell her and she nods. "Let's hope we can get to Freddie and Danny in time." Arthur says and I nod. "We will." I assure them.

******

Two weeks later.

I walk into mine and Auroras room, seeing her tangled in the bedsheets, still completely naked, facing the window. I sit down on the edge of the bed, rubbing my hand up and down her bare thigh. She lets out an angry grumble and opens her eyes, turning her head to see me. "No, let me sleep." She grumbles.

"Get up." I demand, watch her eyes flutter only to shut tightly again. "No." She spat, turning back towards the window and pulling her blankets closer over her chest. I sigh intently not wanting to argue with her because she can be grouchy in the mornings. "Today's December third, I need you to get up and help me, baby." I tell her, reaching over to pull the blankets back to reveal her pretty face.

"Thomas, from what I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong. Today's definitely not my birthday. Today's not your birthday. It's not any of the family's birthday so what the fuck is so special about December third?" She asks me, staring at me pointedly.

I let out a huff of air and shrug simply. "Black star day." I tell her and her eyes widen before she instantly groans. "Fuck you and your stupid fucking plans that are going to get us killed." She grumbles making a small smirk tug at my lips. "Family meeting. Get dressed and come downstairs." I tell her, smacking her ass making her glare at me as I smirk.

I adjust the cap on my head, glancing at my girl one last time before I head downstairs. I lean against the wall as we all wait for Aurora who comes downstairs a few minutes later, still not dressed. "I told you to get dressed." I grumble as she looks up at me. "Since when do I listen to you?" She asks cheekily.

I follow her in her silk black robe as she walks over to John and takes a seat next to him. He whispers something in her ear making her chuckle as she winks at him. "You get some last night?" Arthur asks her smirking down at her attire before he glances at me and I roll my eyes. She shrugs lightly, her smirk turning playful. "Yes, I did." She says unashamed making him chuckle.

"Right, I've brought you all here today because this is the day we replace Billy Kimber." I tell everyone who instantly sobers up at the mention of his name. "The day we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of racecourse bookmakers. But first we do the dirty work. Now, you've all know this day's been coming. I just haven't told anyone the date. We're going to the Worcester races. The tracks open at one, we'll get there at two. Now, Kimber thinks we're going to help him fight the Lee brothers. But thanks to the efforts of John and Esme, efforts I interrupted this morning, the Lees are kin now." I say as John looks down sheepishly.

"And what about Kimber himself?" Aurora asks me and I look at her. "I'll deal with Kimber, Ror. Any other questions?" I assure her before I ask, looking around at everyone. "Yes." Polly speaks up, walking towards the doors. "Does anyone object if I bring a newcomer to the meeting?" She asks us. "Depends who it is." I tell her.

The doors open a slight and Polly turns back to face the room. "I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan." She says and the doors creak open wider as Ada walks through them holding her son in her arms, the room, apart from Aurora, bursts into applause. "Welcome home, Ada." I say as I smile at her. "We named him Karl. After Karl Max." Ada announces proudly.

"Karl bloody Max." Arthur says laughing walking over to Ada. "Let me get a look at him." He says as John lets out a loud laugh. "Oh, here we go now." He jokes. Arthur places his Peaky cap onto baby Karl's small head and holds him beside his own face. "Hey look, he looks just like me." He says as Aurora and John shake their heads. "That's his arse that looks like you, Arthur." John teases as Arthur playfully glares at him. "He's alright, he's a Shelby." Arthur chuckles, cradling the baby closer to him in his arms.

"Well Ada, am I forgiven?" I ask Ada who's nods slowly at me. "If what aunt Polly says is true, you are." She says firmly as the room falls into silence. "It's true." I confirm and she rushes forward, enveloping me into a tight hug. "How long before she decides to leave us again?" I hear Aurora say to John quietly who chuckles.

******

I swing the door open to Polly's house, storming in as Arthur and John follow behind me into the kitchen. Ada quickly tends to Karl who lets out a strangled cry. "What's going on?" Aurora asks as she looks between, standing up. I avoid her question and turn to Ada. "You and the baby go to the bullring now. Where there's lots of people." I tell her.

I begin to pace anxiously as Ada quickly leaves with Karl. "Tommy, tell me what's going on, now." Aurora demands. I sigh, closing my eyes as I continue to pace. "We've been fucking betrayed, Ror." I reply, reaching up to tug on the roots of my hair. "Someone let slip that Kimber's men are on there way here." I say.

"Yeah, but we can handle Billy Kimber, Tommy." She says as I stop pacing and step in front of her. "It's just us. All the Lees are on their way to Worcester. We're outnumbered, baby." I tell her before I turn away, and slam my hands down into the closest thing I can find, my scream echoing through the house. "FUCK!" I yell as Polly walks into the kitchen.
"But who else knew you were making a move on Kimber today?" She asks angrily.

It goes silent before Aurora scoffs. "Oh for fucks sake." She groans as we all look at her. "What?" Arthur asks her as she looks at me, glaring. "That fucking barmaid's been listening in on your conversations." She says angrily as I look down, realising she's right. "She did what?" Polly asks shocked.

"How did we not know?" John asks. "Because she's a sneaky bitch, that's why." Aurora snaps before she walks past John and out of the house. I glance towards Polly but like Aurora had left the house, she snatches her jacket up and leaves. Arthur and John silently follow after, going to round up our men leaving only me in the house.